Author Topic: What will the R-45 be?  (Read 5305 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
What will the R-45 be?
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
Lots of talk about an R-45 around here, and we know something is in the works, we just don't know what yet or when.  (It doesn't sound like SHOT 2010 at this point).

I have heard talk of a full-size or even 1911 style gun with the Rohrbaugh treament.  We know Karl has an affinity for the 1911.  And, of course, there is the possibilty of a pocket 45.

My question is this:  What should the R-45 be?  What is your vision of the gun?

Maybe we can provide some free market research for the brothers R!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: What will the R-45 be?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »
I would be interested in the pocket 45 and would put my order in now if I could!!   :)    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

grandpa

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
 I'm not sure I would want to shoot any 45 that could actually fit into a normal pants pocket. And follow up shots would be too difficult. I love my R9 but for me that is about the limit of what I can handle in a true pocket pistol. For me any 45 that I could operate quickly and accurately would most likely have to be in an IWB.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
As I did with the R9 after seeing photographs of the prototype at SHOT 2002, I wrote to the company as soon as I heard mention of the pending design asking that my name be placed in line for one of the first R45s -- sight unseen, whenever they become available and regardless of their configuration. I would assume that the size of the pistol could be no smaller than, say, a Walther PPK, and weigh in at no less than around 25 ounces . . . somewhat on the border between pocket and IWB territory. I have not assumed that the R45 would be a "mini 1911," since that market niche already has serious contenders. However, I would definitely want to own one even if that were the route which Karl and Eric chose to design and market.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »
Ah-ha!  I think I found a prototype of the R-45 on YouTube...  :D  ;D  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcrWGJy6q0

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »
Ah-ha!  I think I found a prototype of the R-45 on YouTube...  :D  ;D  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcrWGJy6q0

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »
Not sure that I would buy a mini 1911 unless it was MUCH smaller than whats currently out there.  I would be buying one if it was like our R9's but sized a littler bigger to handle the size of the 45 case.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »
I wasn't aware of the Simmerling, nor that American Derringer is making limited reproductions of it.  

http://www.amderringer.com/lms.html

Nearly same dimensions as the R9 but .45ACP.  Not nearly as attractive either, and not auto.  It appears Simmerling had an auto version but it was never sold?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
I'm still in for the pocket 45.  I don't mind recoil, as I've said before.  I'm sure Karl has thought it through on size even if it's just in the thinking stage.  I, too, however, would buy any version they come out with.   :D     :D  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
I wasn't aware of the Simmerling, nor that American Derringer is making limited reproductions of it.  

http://www.amderringer.com/lms.html

Nearly same dimensions as the R9 but .45ACP.  Not nearly as attractive either, and not auto.  It appears Simmerling had an auto version but it was never sold?
I  don't think they are in business now, but an LM-4 is on Gunbroker.com for $4,000. made in the 70's.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
I  don't think they are in business now, but an LM-4 is on Gunbroker.com for $4,000. made in the 70's.

Four days left and from a seller with apparently excellent  feedback, but the asking price is highly elevated based on rarity. I'm waiting for the R45.   8)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128603823
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:33:33 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
Meee   too!!    ;D     ;D

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
I've got some on order, from the first word about it years ago.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
I would picture something like a Rohrbaughized Sig P239.

Rick

Offline Wheedum

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 05:56:14 PM »
There already is a Rohrbaughized .45  ...... It's called "The Wilson Combat Stealth"  :P    
Seriously though, I'm in.  But not for pocket.  That would be pure novelty.  Way too much recoil for a fight.  
I would like to see SUPER thin (as in the thinnest ever made), 3.5inch barrel (option for threads), double action only, factory ported, NO FRICKIN SAFETY, Glock Reliable, sticky grips, low axis, no beaver tail, totally melted, low profile night sites from factory, all with an accuracy guarantee in keeping w/ Wilson Combat.  (this has been my dream gun for over 20 years)  Price it under $5K and I would jump at the chance.