Author Topic: When is it going to rain again?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
When is it going to rain again?
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
I live in Iowa and we are in the worst drought since 1955-56.  What is worse is there are a lot of places drier than here.  Most of the corn crop right around here is shot and the soybeans need a rain quick or they will dry up also.

This is the worst I have seen it in my lifetime and the weather forecast sounds like more of the same ahead for us,

I know it has been bad in Texas for a couple of years and I  have heard that Georgia is suffering also.

How is it in your area?

Here is the National Drought Map link.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: When is it going to rain again?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

Strangely enough, I have had good wheat and corn crops this year north and east of Dallas, but that area is a rare exception. The high pressure dome just won't seem to go away. Earlier this summer the jet stream was farther south and would meet the gulf air in parts of Texas to give us rain. In Houston we have had a fair amount of rain in the last month. This year is, indeed, a crisis for midwest farmers and higher food prices are a foregone conclusion.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
I was wishing for rain and the movie 'Leap Of Faith' with Steve Martin came to mind...  lol
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
PA had a dry, hot spell for a while.
We are rebounding with cooler temperatures and ocasional showers.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
I have a friend (we'll call him Casey) who is a quintessential "mountain man" -- 80 years of age and of Cherokee Indian heritage.  Except for a tour in the Navy during the Korean War, where he participated in the Inchon Invasion, Casey has lived in the Great Smoky Mountains all his life. He now resides alone down the road from our vacation cabin here at Critter Creek.

Earlier this year Casey stopped by the cabin for a visit. Our conversation soon turned to the weather and the drought that was afflicting so much of the country. I told him I was concerned that the lack of rain would soon dry up our spring-fed creek and the four ponds on the property. He said: "Don't worry. I'll get out my rain stick tonight."

That night, it started to rain. It rained so hard that the creek rose over its banks and washed one of the foot bridges from its moorings, carrying it downstream across the third pond and into the fourth.

A few days later I happened to see Casey at the local general store. With a smile on his face and a glint in his eye, he looked at me and said, "How did you like that rain the other night?"

Not being one to tempt fate, I just said, "Thank you, Casey, and please keep tapping that stick."

Since then we've had more rain in this area than the annual average, the creek is running fast, and the four ponds are full. Why? I don't know, but one thing I do know is that I intend to stay in good standing with Casey.   ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"