Author Topic: Soon To Be R9 Noob  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
Soon To Be R9 Noob
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »
Hello all. I'm a new member but have been frequent lurker over the past month. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, so to say, to purchase an R9S very soon and I wanted to get some advice from the experienced owners. Besides quality ammo and the normal cleaning supplies, what else should I have on hand? I've read a bit about grip screw failures and how difficult take-down can be for beginners. Should I order the RJ style take-down tool ahead of time along with grip screws so I can change them out right away or can those items wait for until later? If I end up with a pre-owned pup, should I make changing the screws a priority? Please feel free to give me pointers on anything else you think I should know or be aware of, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

John

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Soon To Be R9 Noob
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum Giraffes.

And I'm sure you will feel that your R9 purchase will be one the finest self defense purchases that you have ever made.

As far as tools and such.  If you consider yourself a "gun person", by that , I mean one who has been around guns for a while and has broken them down and cleaned them regularly and such.
If so, you may not need the R9 break down tools at all.  Takedown is not a difficult as some make it out to be.

On the other hand, if you are not really "into" taking guns apart and just don't really understand the workings then I would reccomend the takedown tools.  And to add - if you just want to make it an easier job for take down, regardless of your ability, the tools do make it easier and quicker.

Having said all of that, I would get three tools -

From the classifieds - From David S - the "push-down" tool.

From the classifieds - From Yankee2500- "the takedown tool".

Then a quality allen driver from:

Brownells
Wiha
Bondus  

for removing the grips.

For the low price of the grip screws from yankee compared to frustration of stripping out a screw or two - buy new screws.

One other thing, if you are going to pocket carry, by all means by a good quality pocket holster like a Meco.  It's money well spent.

Since you have been lurking, I know you have seen links for everything I have mentioned.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »
John, Welcome to the group.

Something Reinz forgot to mention is after you have one pup you may want another.  ;D

Also for both gun & holster get some of the Renaissance Wax, great stuff.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Reinz. I think I can call myself a gun person so I think I'll try breaking it down without any tools first. I'm expecting it to be a little different than my HK or Sig so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the quirks of the R9 before I start working on it myself. I did the same thing before I purchased my 1911 and thankfully I've been able to avoid the fabled idiot mark (knock on wood).

I think I'll definitely order two sets of grip screws and a few recoil springs ahead of time because I always like to have spare parts on hand.

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:46 PM »
Thanks Yankee, I was afraid of that. I was planning on building an AR next but I may have to put that off for a while so I can save up for another pup! I was already torn between sending it off to Bob Cogan for some hard chrome or to have it two-toned like the Sig Equinox pistols. I guess I may have to do both! One with 40lpi checkering and the other stippled. Geez, I may have to get more than two so I can keep one stock!  ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
Giraffes.  You'll be surprised how these things multiply!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln