Poll

What should I do with my new R9?

EDC
11 (84.6%)
Safe Queen (Buy another for CC)
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: EDC or SQ?  (Read 9607 times)

Offline epkptp

• Expert
EDC or SQ?
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:17:41 AM »
I just bought a nice Farmingdale R9 (R50x) today from the classifieds (Thanks jarcher!) and I'm wondering if it's too nice to carry.  :)  It seems to be in mint condition with less than a hundred rounds through it.  Anyone else EDC their Farmingdale R9?  I've already ordered a Recluse Solo for it, but I guess I could buy another R9 for it if I had to.  I'd probably have to wait a month or two though to convince my wife I need it. lol

Anyway, here's a pic from the seller.  :P

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: EDC or SQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:09:36 AM »
epkptp.........I carry R7xx all the time. It has carbon fiber grips but a Deer Park slide. I have a another new R9 in case the one I carry would need some repair. I bought it in 2004. The only issue I have had is that the magazines from the old gun will not fit in my new gun. The new mags fit the old model. I would carry it and enjoy it if the gun was mine. Some gun collecters would keep it in the gun safe. It really is a individual decision. You have a VERY nice gun meant to be carried!......JMO..... :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:13:01 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:26:11 AM »
I just bought a nice Farmingdale R9 (R50x) today from the classifieds (Thanks jarcher!) and I'm wondering if it's too nice to carry.  :)  It seems to be in mint condition with less than a hundred rounds through it.  Anyone else EDC their Farmingdale R9?  I've already ordered a Recluse Solo for it, but I guess I could buy another R9 for it if I had to.  I'd probably have to wait a month or two though to convince my wife I need it. lol

Anyway, here's a pic from the seller.  :P

Very nice Farmingdale, for sure and congrats.  As for carrying the Farmingdale, that is a personal decision; I do carry mine..............some. 
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
It your a collector and its all original and in pristine condition and you want to preserve the gun for its future value, put it in the safe and forget about it. If you like to use what you own carry it and shoot it.
  No one can answer tis question but you, good luck in your decision.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »
I would not buy it if I was not going to use it. Shoot it and enjoy it! :)

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
Guns are meant to be shot.  ;D
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm also in agreement with Z and bama, I only buy what I plan to use and if I decide later I'm not using it enough, its gone. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
I'm also in agreement with Z and bama, I only buy what I plan to use and if I decide later I'm not using it enough, its gone. ;D

I have to agree with that too, although I don't abide with it, danggone it; have two NIB .380 Seecamps with consectutive even serial nos., another .380 Seecamp is alternate carry, but such is life; don't want to sell them.  Wait a minute here; I do have a NIB Rohrbaugh,  keep forgetting about that one;  no need to shoot it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:37:12 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
Ken you have some expensive paper weights.

To each their own.

Thats why there is Coke and Pepsi! :)

epkptp is the only one who has to decide to use or have a safe queen.

Good luck in your quest!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »
Ken you have some expensive paper weights.

To each their own.

Thats why there is Coke and Pepsi! :)

epkptp is the only one who has to decide to use or have a safe queen.

Good luck in your quest!

Adam.  Not really paper weights.    :D  I do like Pepsi Max!    ;D  Switched from Coke.    :)   I don't like having something I don't shoot, but like I said, such is life, for me.  Again, don't plan to to that anymore.    :)

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
It your a collector and its all original and in pristine condition and you want to preserve the gun for its future value, put it in the safe and forget about it. If you like to use what you own carry it and shoot it.
  No one can answer tis question but you, good luck in your decision.

Couldn't have said it better.   I don't see anything wrong with safe queens.  If you're a collector and want to preserve their future value, by all means keep it tucked away.  That is a fine weapon that will grow in value.  I myself have some safe queens, (old Colts and such) that I do not shoot.  However, if you have that itch to use it for CC, then don't let it hold you back.  If you can swing it, by another R9 and carry it.  I don't see anything wrong with preserving a fine weapon such as that.  Years from now, you can know that you still have one of the finest pieces Rohrbaugh ever put out, and you have it in prime condition.

Or you can send it to me, and I'll keep it in my safe for you so you don't have to worry about it.  You can come to Oklahoma and see it whenever you'd like!!  Just throwing that out there..
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline epkptp

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
I'm leaning towards using it as my EDC.  :D

Does anyone know if the Recluse Solo is an exact fit with the older R9's?  I wasn't thinking about this when I ordered it.  I'm concerned with the trigger block area since it needs to be an exact fit. 

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »

Does anyone know if the Recluse Solo is an exact fit with the older R9's?  I wasn't thinking about this when I ordered it.  I'm concerned with the trigger block area since it needs to be an exact fit.
No problem.  The R9 hasn't changed size.  You should be OK.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:43:54 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »
EDC. "A gun unused is a gun abused."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline epkptp

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

No problem.  The R9 hasn't changed size.  You should be OK.

Sweet!  Thanks!