Author Topic: Help With Customization(same as previous post)  (Read 24221 times)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
Re: Help With Customization(same as previous post)
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand drilling holes in the top of a perfectly good barrel but I've never jumped out of a functioning airplane, either.

Here's the theory.  When the  ports (such as magna porting) or holes (in other types of porting) are put through the slide and into the barrel,  a lot of the gas pressure is released in an upward direction,  thus forcing the muzzle down by that pressure.   That's the physics theory about porting.  In actual practice that happens so fast that it may be unnoticable.  Now with regard to the barrel itself there is some work done on the interior bearing surface or supposed to be so that the projectile is not deformed going by the ports.  Otherwise hollow base or lead projectiles might actually begin to expand into the ports under pressure as they go by.   Whether that is even possible is beyond my knowledge and expertise.

I have seen the blast and noticed it almost everytime I've fired one in low light or no light.   Now maybe that is because unlike Reinz,  my main focus is not on the target but on the front sight (even in total darkness by use of night sights whenever possible) and the flash has been noticable to me.  The flash on ported weapons will always be either adjacent to or behind the front sight.   Depending upon the caliber, propellant and charge the visible blast may be really large to only moderate, but it will be there.   A useful example is a flash hider on say an M14.  The flash hider is not designed to prevent someone from seeing the flash, that is impossible physically.   But it is there in front of the front sight and lower to redirect the flash so that the shooter is not bothered by the flash of his own weapon.  Looking at the target will not prevent the sudden glare of light from causing your pupillary reaction which is involuntary and could not be controlled physically by a person unless they close their eyes.  Many people shoot with one eye closed which is more common practice than with both eyes open.   That could help with a high light flash as you then switch eyes.   But when training officers to defend themselves, part of the training involves trying to get the officers to keep both eyes open so that their peripheral vision can help them account for some of the unexpected.  In any deadly force encounter, what you don't see will probably be the thing that does you in.

As far as the hearing side of things,  Reinz has that exactly right as far as I'm concerned.   Having been around enough firearms in my lifetime where my hearing protection was inadequate and having had a few flash bangs detonated nearby, even with hearing protection....I always ask people if the ringing in my ears bothers them where they are standing.  I don't want to be around ported firearms either.   Now when I'm shooting, I wear custom form fitted ear inserts and also muffs over top of them.   Makes it harder to hear anyone around me but my hearing doesn't get any worse either.   The only time I use anything else is my annual retired LEO qualification for my HR218 permit where I wear the special hearing protection that is hooked to the sound system in the indoor range.   But hearing protection is another story all together.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
So, we can answer one of Phil's initial questions, "to port or not to port?"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:09:13 PM by tracker »

Offline hdfb910

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
I personally don't like the idea of porting a defensive gun.  As mentioned before you cannot predict the conditions in which the weapon will be used.  In the event of being overwhelmed by bad guy or in very close contact w/ BG and the pistol has to be fired from a low position close to your body, you run the risk of actually being burned.  Bad guys may not always give you the opportunity to get into your perfect shooting position with arms extended.  I also agree if recoil is a problem use a smaller caliber.  Just my opinion.

Pete

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »

I agree, Pete.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »
Not to port, I have similar issues. Firing while drawing quickly and avoiding a bad guy you neve know the position the weapon might be in. The benefit does not outway the possible negative repercutions in my opinion.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Just as a side note.  I received my American Rifleman today and inside is a short memorian to Larry Kelly, the original inventor and owner of Mag-na Port.  
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms