Author Topic: Movie Shooting in Colorado  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Movie Shooting in Colorado
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »

Tactically speaking, it would be a difficult task to take this guy out with a small concealed carry pistol.  Sounds like an accurate head shot may be required, as least for any type of quick stop.  Unfortunately, that might have to be delivered at very close range in order to see the exposed areas and place accurate fire.

I have thought about similar situations and figure that advancing on the shooter when he is distracted may be the only way.  Even putting bullets into his vest/helmet or whatever as you close the distance may give the untrained criminal some problem in reacting to the approaching threat.  Unfortunately, the prognosis is not good for the potential hero in the situation.  Very risky business, but sometimes you have no good alternatives.

This all applies to the Tyler, TX situation I mentioned above.  The "hero" could not get close enough.  He was an awesome marksman.   He did not realize the coward had body armor, at least not right away.    Then it was too late.   Exactly as DD descibes.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:01:26 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »
I think there is a lesson to be taken from the Florida internet cafe incident. The armed citizen made his move when the would-be robber was distracted. After the armed citizen's first shot, he continued to advance at his own risk. The result was to wound both BGs and diffuse a situation that could have had many innocent victims.

The armed citizen in Florida is a hero. Would that there could have been an armed citizen of his courage and ability somewhere in the front rows of that Colorado theater.

May God in His inifinite wisdom and mercy take into His care those innocent victims and may He grant comfort and solace to their grieving loved ones.

I my state once they turned and ran away you could not continue to shoot .......doing so could put YOU in jail!
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I think there is a lesson to be taken from the Florida internet cafe incident. The armed citizen made his move when the would-be robber was distracted. After the armed citizen's first shot, he continued to advance at his own risk. The result was to wound both BGs and diffuse a situation that could have had many innocent victims.

The armed citizen in Florida is a hero. Would that there could have been an armed citizen of his courage and ability somewhere in the front rows of that Colorado theater.

May God in His inifinite wisdom and mercy take into His care those innocent victims and may He grant comfort and solace to their grieving loved ones.

I my state once they turned and ran away you could not continue to shoot .......doing so could put YOU in jail!

Jack , what state are you in?

In Texas you would get a Hero's parade and a key to the city!  ;D ;D

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »

Jack , what state are you in?

In Texas you would get a Hero's parade and a key to the city!  ;D ;D

Ohio.......A person may only use the amount of force that is reasonably necessary to repel the attack on his person and no more.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
For the sake of argument, I would offer that the two armed men could as well have been retreating to a safer firing position...once the battle was joined with an assailant who was not only armed but who had fired the weapon, I would have felt unsafe letting him out the door without a hail of bullets to encourage his continued retreat.  In any case, Ayoob recently testified that a modern pistol in the hands of an adrenalin surged shooter can fire 5 rounds in something just over a second...too fast for the mind to process that the assailant has turned to retreat.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
As we continue to see more & more of these Shootings,  I am starting to think it is Better toStick with a 45Cal as a Carry Weapon,. you can get use to any type of Pistol when you see these types of (Killers), in the case of this Dirty Killer I believe only a 45 would have been the Weapon of Choice.

Just my 2%

>:( >:(

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »

I think you're right but there aren't many of us who go to a movie packing a .45. That will probably change but these cowards will probably move on to churches and school cafeterias.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 02:35:03 AM »

I think you're right but there aren't many of us who go to a movie packing a .45. That will probably change but these cowards will probably move on to churches and school cafeterias.

Right you are Tracker.

Now I'm second guessing myself.  And thinking if I should change from a .45 to a 10mm?  ???

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
I agree with Ratzo, and in fact when dress/situation allows my carry is a Kimber Ultra CDPII with one extra mag.  I carry most everywhere including in church (where better?) but find the .45 difficult to hide when kneeling, so am conflicted on this one.  The smaller "mouse gun" would be quite adequate if not optimal for a 4 to 10 yard confrontation in the street, but in a church, store, bank, theater the shot taken might be at a considerably greater distance, and a longer sight picture, better sights and a higher caliber would give a considerable survival advantage.  May have to consider a really good shoulder holster or a "man purse"?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
fanny pouch   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
I guess we have to hope Rohrbaugh comes Quick with a 45 and at Least give a Close date,  I think the 45 is going to be the Nr (1) Cal in this country for carry  after seeing these Child Killers and what they can wear to protect there COWARD A--.

I know the 9mm is a Nice round and it has been around for a long time, but, you have to go with the time.

When that Child Killer was on the Stage, shooting, the only thing you could do was take cover and think about the gun you had on you a (Mousegun) and know you could do nothing, and yes shooting at him would have directed his shots to you and your Family and what I am saying is a 9mm is a Dam if I do and Dam if I don't.  I hope the Business with Gun Free Zone Signs are Happy Now.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »
fanny pouch   Tom

Keep the R9 in your pocket to give you time to get the fanny pack turned around and "unpacked."  Then use the .45 to allow you to get the .223 in the trunk of your car.  Got it!  ;D
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis