Author Topic: Your Last Gun  (Read 1975 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Your Last Gun
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »
A friend of mine asked me a question this evening, and after I gave it some thought, I was surprised with my own answer because I had never considered it. 

He asked me, if god forbid I was in a financial hole, and I had to sell off my firearms, which would be the last one to go.  The first thing that went through my head were the firearms in the 'Colt-Section' of the safe, then some old antique military rifles, etc...  After pondering the question for a few minutes, I kept coming back to the Rohrbaugh.  I haven't the first clue why.  I have far more valuable firearms, far more rare firearms, etc.  However, I think that the Rohrbaugh is the firearm I can honestly say that I have enjoyed having the most.  I use it for it's intended use, and also consider it a piece of art with regards to it's design and quality of craftsmanship.   Maybe I hold it such a high regard because I actually had to use my CCW in a self defense situation once, and it happened to be my R9.  My very first thread on this forum detailed that experience.  I guess I am attached to it more so than any other gun I have.  I do not have any firearms that have been handed down through my family.  I am the first, in the hope of a long line of future firearm collectors / enthusiasts, so there isn't any in my collection that hold real sentimental value...yet.

I suppose this question posed to several others might be answered easier, I can easily understand a family heirloom, etc.  However, I ask this question to the members of this forum:  If circumstances dictate that you must sell off all but one single firearm, what is the one you would keep above all others?

-Adam

There's just something about her.  I still find myself gazing.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:20:52 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Ghost Chili

Re: Your Last Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
That is an interesting question.  Due to sentimental value, I think my last gun to keep would be the Phoenix Arms HP22 pistol my father has.  It was the very first firearm I had ever fired when I was perhaps 7 or 8 years old and it was the gun he used to teach me how to handle firearms safely and how to shoot.  The mere sight of that pistol brings back many a fond memory of the countless hours spent at the gun range punching paper, busting up dirt clumps, or knocking over spinning targets.  I estimate we have fired over 20,000 rounds through that gun in the 25+ years I have been shooting with my father.  Numerous parts have been replaced and it is on its 2nd or 3rd replacement barrel, but it keeps running just fine.  It is not worth much at all, probably less than $50, had dents and dings on it, and likely has permanent powder burns, but to me, it is a gun that holds a special value that no other firearm can match. 

Out of the guns in my collection, I would be torn between my Colt Python, the R9, and my Remington 870.  Each fulfills a certain purpose and both the Python and 870 have special meaning to me.  The R9 is hard to give up simply because it is my EDC pocket gun.  Given your previous mention of having had to use your R9 in a defensive manner, I think I would favor my R9 as well.  As they say, the best gun in the world is the one you have on you when you need it most! 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »
* * * If circumstances dictate that you must sell off all but one single firearm, what is the one you would keep above all others? * * *

It would have to be my R9.

And here I would be when they got that one as well:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
Keep the firearms.  Sell the car.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »
Keep the firearms.  Sell the car.

Me too, I will sell the minivan and keep the guns.