Author Topic: New Factory Winchester Ranger Ammo  (Read 9604 times)

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
Re: New Factory Winchester Ranger Ammo
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »
Some people are recommending 1 Buck over 00 Buck for shotguns that are used for defensive purposes.  Below are some very good links for more insight.  Their general thoughts are more pellets in the air for better hits on the BG and you are still getting 12" + of penetration.  There is not tons of data on 1 Buck like there is on 00 Buck.  These articles also talk about different brands.  
Respectfully,
Jim

"Rather than the #00 buckshot load commonly employed by police agencies, #1 buck offers the best combination of stopping power, controlled penetration, and manageable recoil..."

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/shotgunpace.htm

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma..."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

"Some shooters prefer #4 or #1 buckshot over 00 buck.  Real world one shot stopping success of the #4 buck is a respectable 81-83%.  Data hasn't been collected for the #1 buck, but its performance should be even better...."

http://www.internetarmory.com/shotgun_ammo.htm

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »

It depends what your needs are, in my Sage International Sidewinder I use Remington 00 Buck 12 pellet Max load that is nickel plated shot and buffered. This is a commercial load as Police loads are moving towards "low recoil", low recoil means less $hit when it hits! I'll put up with the recoil to have more knockdown power!

This is a Sage International Sidewinder, it is a HIGHLY modifed Remington 1100 (or 1187). Mine has a Remington 870 top folding stock and a 12.5" barrel.

PursuitSS

PursuitSS:

I like that Sidewinder!

Here's what I use, a modified Winchester 1300 Marine Defender.  It also "rocks"!

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 08:01:56 AM »

$25 for 50 is indeed a good price for .45acp. Can you normally buy it for this price?

The originator of this thread is offering it at $25 per box.  Also, MAH Supplies (whom I've bought from) has it for $25.15
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 12:27:51 AM »
I'm itching to buy some, but I'm just a little nervous about liability issues.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 01:06:37 PM »
I guess your concern is understanable.  However, the liability exposure will exist from the use of any ammunition.  No matter the brand or design of the bullet, you are ultimately responsible for the terminal resting place of each bullet fired.

If you are in fear of your life -- fire to stop the threat -- and hit your intended target.  You are in about the same position regardless of the brand of ammunition.  Unless your state law prohibits civil suit from the assailant or assailant's family following a justified self defense shooting (as in Florida) -- if the BG can get an attorney to take the case on contigency, you'll most likely face a lawsuit.  Hopefully, the jury pool in your area will produce a decision in your favor.

Could the plantiff attorney attempt to portray the Winchester SXT ammunition in a negative light -- hoping to inflame a jury with sympathy for the plantiff that you were "looking to kill someone"?  Absolutely.  However, the same attorney -- with the same exact circumstances of your situation could do the very same thing if you had opted to employ a different brand/style of ammunition -- say, good ol' Federal Hi-shok (9BP) ammo.  The attorney will try to make the jury think the Hi-shok is the most wicked device on the planet...

But then, the best thing is to select ammunition that you feel is best  -- that will function well in your particular R9.  The last thing you need when faced with the use of a handgun for self defense is the thought flashing through your mind, "will the use of this ammo get me sued".
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline 5532JWK

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 06:12:39 AM »
New 357sig Bonded Ranger just arrived.

Offline 5532JWK

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 04:33:37 AM »
Yes the Ranger ammo is still available.

Offline 5532JWK

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 06:26:52 AM »
Just received the 40s&w bonded Ranger ammo.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 09:34:28 PM »
I carry the RA9T in my R9, but use Federal Tactical in my Sig 239 .40.

The reason I use RA9T is that it is standard pressure and tests as well as +P rounds in lab testing.  

There is nothing illegal about JHP ammo for someone who is not a police officer (police officers are civilians - I was an Army MP, so I know).  In NJ, it is not legal to use JHP for carry if you are not a police officer, but what you use in your home is up to you.  Since pretty much no one can carry in NJ legally anyhow, it makes little difference.

As for civil liability, I am aware of no case in which this was a problem.  As someone else said, if the police carry it, we are well advised to as well.  No matter what you do, you can be sued.  If you use ball ammo and it over penetrates, you will be sued.  If you use JHP ammo and it does it's job, you will be sued.  Face it, if you fire your pistol in self defense legally, you're very likely to be sued.  Pick the ammo that does the best job in your pistol and for your needs.

Offline 5532JWK

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 03:51:49 AM »
Yes, the ammo is still available.

Offline 5532JWK

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006, 05:03:23 AM »
Yes all the listed calibers are available. Contact me direct at jwkpatrick@yahoo.com.