Author Topic: Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ...  (Read 12939 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ...
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
Well, OK, so I don't feel ALL that guilty. I love ny Rohrbaugh R9s, but have just totally messed up the budget by buying a new pistol: 45ACP 1911-type
an STI Trojan 5.0 (http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5.0/Trojan50.php)
hard-chrome finish (I like shiny guns), trigger work, fiber optics sights, etc. all done by Bob Cogan's APW (http://www.apwcogan.com).
Bottom line: it's a dream. It's much better than I am, cannot do it justice. And it's much prettier.
And even at my advanced age and diminishing capacities, intend to try out IPSC/IDPA competition, for which this firearm is fully qualified/accepted.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
I, too, like shiny guns (don't worry, Brenden and Tom -- no bling alerts this time  ;D), and that one is a beauty! Good luck in your competitions.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
Good lookin' gun, indeed!  And good luck in the IPSC/IDPA competion.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
Being old, and pretty much an amateur in comparison to many competitors and people writing on this forum, I only have to say my intentions:
1) to do the best that I can with the phyiscal limitiations I have. (OK I'm old, alright?)
2) to not shoot myself or any other competitors in any areas they would consider important. (joke)
3) OK, just to not embarass myself -- this is the 'guy thing'

In warning, I also write stuff with a fair amount of sarcasm, usually-unsuccesful humor, etc. It's a personal fault.

All you friends on this forum are an invaluable source of information, instruction etc. -- I am quite amazed and grateful.
All the best.
Bill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »

And thanks to you also, Bill; sometimes, too much tact means that one is not clever enough to be cynical. You have found a welcome home here. Honesty will work every time.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 01:54:11 AM »
Bill,
For some reason at the moment I cannot see your fine gun,but I am sure it is a weapon to behold!!

I can't wait to see it,and I have my sunglasses handy!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
Well, OK, so I don't feel ALL that guilty. I love ny Rohrbaugh R9s, but have just totally messed up the budget by buying a new pistol: 45ACP 1911-type
an STI Trojan 5.0 (http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5.0/Trojan50.php)
hard-chrome finish (I like shiny guns), trigger work, fiber optics sights, etc. all done by Bob Cogan's APW (http://www.apwcogan.com).
Bottom line: it's a dream. It's much better than I am, cannot do it justice. And it's much prettier.
And even at my advanced age and diminishing capacities, intend to try out IPSC/IDPA competition, for which this firearm is fully qualified/accepted.

Brenden - just caught your post, wanted to let you know that you did good!
I have 2 or 3 STIs presently ( have a hard time keeping up with my 1911s).   They are great guns.  I have Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, and others.  Without going custom, I think STI is the best you can buy.
I had a Trojoan in 40cal that was phenomenal, but I sold it. I did not care for the recoil.  It actually recoiled more than the 45s do.  It was a snappier recoil which I just did not care for.

Enjoy!

Reinz
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:38:29 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:49 PM »

The "T" in STI was Virgil Tripp who later sold out and went into refinishing some of our guns. Now, he makes 1911 magazines of the highest quality and some other endeavors I don't know about.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
Virgil is a gunsmith and was named gunsmith of the year.
He also makes Cobra mags which are considered the best 1911 mags made at this time.  
Yes, better than Wilson, Brown, etc.  He has the documentation to back it up.

They are the only mags I carry now and use in competition.

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

Reinz

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

I met Virgil and his brother at Teddy Jacobson's shop where they were trading secrets. He took two of my guns for refinishing back to Alpine and later I bought some of his magazines. He is a very nice guy and a pleasure to deal with in business.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »
He is a nice guy.  Did you get to hang with those guys long while they were talking shop?
That is such a great way to boost your knowledge.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I listened to them for about an hour. They were talking about things that were beyond my shop level. Virgil's brother was making rifle silencers in central Texas but I didn't find out much about that. Teddy told me at the time that Virgil made the best magazines. The shop conversation was about 1911 action jobs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:47:24 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
That's pretty cool, I'd love to chat with them.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

They're both definitely at the top of the 1911 gunsmith game. That fact also came through loud and clear.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:44:54 PM »
Virgil Tripp is a true gentleman, scholar, and artist. Just before he got out of the replating business I called his shop about an order. He answered the telephone himself on the second ring and spent about an hour discussing the project with me. Then he turned this:

into this:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"