Author Topic: Suppressor?  (Read 16381 times)

Offline Mike_OTDP

Re: Suppressor?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
You can mount a suppressor on anything.  The question is, would it cycle?  And in the case of a Rohrbaugh, would it overstress the gun?

Suppressors work great on fixed-barrel guns, where there is no cycling issue.  Locked-breech guns without a tilting Browning-type lockup will also work reliably.  Tilting barrels frequently have problems...and I suspect that a Rohrbaugh has the barrel tilt through a longer angle than a service-sized pistol.  This is why there are quite a few suppressor manufacturers who are making recoil boosters.

Overstressing?  Possible, but I don't have the design details.

If I were doing it (and I might be), I'd go with a wet can.  Something along the lines of an AWC Abraxas...relatively light and compact.  Hopefully enough so to avoid needing a recoil booster to function.  There isn't much point in putting a suppressor the size of a tube for paper towels on a gun as small as a Rohrbaugh...it kind of misses the point.  You're looking for a total package that is still small.

In any event, I'd be up for a threaded extended barrel.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »
If you think about the "real" reason for a can, do you really want it to cycle?  

Cycling makes noise.
Extracting empties makes noise.
Sometimes these are louder than the actual shot.

I know someone that makes suppressors for the military and covert government operatives.  Even on bigger guns he will install a slide lock to prevent cycling, to keep things at their absolute quietest (sp?).

Just something to think about.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 12:22:58 AM »
Send me a threaded bbl and I will try it with my YHM ... but, certainly not something high on my bucket list.

Offline ucfjoe

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
Send me a threaded bbl and I will try it with my YHM ... but, certainly not something high on my bucket list.

Since I started the thread, I call dibs on anyone sending a threaded barrel for can testing.  ;D

The reason I started this is because I was trying to decide if it was worth having one made. Since it would likely cost at least $400 for a barrel (probably more) and probably has about a 5% chance of proper cycling my dream is dead.

If I do try this on a smaller gun I will be having a barrel made for the p11 since that has a better chance of proper cycling but since this would still not be 100%, you're right, its not high in my to-do list either.  :'(

Offline Wg Jr

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 02:44:01 PM »
400 Plus the 200 for the stamp,Plus the Suppressor?
I enjoyed reading this thread>Pillow Post and the New Friends from not
completing the $200 stamp. I laughed out loud. Excellent sense of
humor ;D

Offline Larry

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
Hi Folks: Haven't been on the Forum for a very long time except to look quickly. Have had my pup for about 4 yrs now. It is my daily carry. I previously was intrigued with purchasing a suppressor with dedicated Walther PPS. The only problem brought to my attention was that unless you are LE or Military, using a can on a defensive carry weapon has many legal drawbacks-like juries and jail. Correct me if I am wrong. Given that reality, they are expensive toys.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »

Deferring to the legal eagles here, Larry, I think you are indeed correct.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
Larry.  You are indeed correct.  You do not need a suppressor!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 07:11:46 AM »
Larry.  You are indeed correct.  You do not need a suppressor!

That's just my thoughts, of course!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
want vs need!!  interesting project, but could be bigger and more cost involved than first thought...  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
Very true and hard to carry a defense gun in the CC mode with a suppressor.  However, I understand the "what you want" criteria.

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »
Can would be bigger than the gun itself! I thought putting a can on a K3 was bad...

DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
Wow!  How do you carry that thing?  Very carefully, I know!    ;D  However, I do like the look!

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »
Thats wifey's bird feeder "vermin" control device.
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
I do believe that will do the job!