Author Topic: .9mm Kahrs...?...  (Read 5734 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
.9mm Kahrs...?...
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:20:09 AM »
>>I'm interested in learning what you guys think about the .9mm Kahrs...?...if the subject has already been beaten to death around here - then I've missed it.  

I recently picked up a K9 in a swap, and am still wondering why I got it - lol.  But then that has me looking at the, ummmmm...what is it...PM9, I think...?...the newer, smaller version of the K9 thingie.

I mean, nothing will ever replace my R9s or G-26...not even the Colt Pocket Nine I am picking up today (after a long discussion with Geminidan about same).  Still...the PM9 does sound interesting...or am I just up too early today...?...!

HELLLLLLP, please...?...TW<<
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 07:22:11 AM by TW »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: .9mm Kahrs...?...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »
TW,

I had a Kahr PM9 and it was very dependable.

However, it is not a pocket pistol, being too large and too heavy.  It felt just right in an IWB Milt Sparks Ex Companion.

I tried and tried to make pocket carry work, and even purchased a large selection of pocket holsters.  It didn't work for me.  No way.

Bill

Offline TW

• Grand Master
.9mm Kahrs...?...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
>>M-Gunner...

Isn't the PM9 the one that is smaller than the Smith lightweigh snubbies...?...and close to the R9 in weight...?...TW<<

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »
TW,

Here is that fine chart comparing the small pistols.  This fellow did a great job.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Bill

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:19:56 PM »
Congrats on getting a P9. That gun was definitely a sleeper and is  my most frequent carried gun (the R9 is for special circumstances only).

If you have a R9 and are getting a P9, don't even THINK about the Micro Kahrs ...

... I had a MK9 and it doesn't compare to either the R9 or the P9.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
.9mm Kahrs...?...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »
>>LOL...!  Thanks, Fudster.  The Pocket Nine I just picked up had a thorough workover by Scott, McDougle, and Associates.  One fine gun...I can see how you might need more than one of them.  I note your possession of a Kahr Micro was a past tense thing.  That bad, huh.

M-gunner...thanks for the chart...unfortunately my tired old pooder would not open it...even though I have PDF access.  Prolly one a them teckno thangs, like need to update something...TW<<

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:06:59 PM »
TW, no problem.

Here is an alternate form of the chart.

It may be necessary to zoom in so you can see more detail.  When I click on the pistols, it toogles back & forth between two zoom levels.

Well, shoot.  My browser is Firefox, but now I notice that Microsoft IE does not zoom.  There should be a circumvention so you can blow it up.  Perhaps save the page as a file, then use a photo program to inspect it.

Bill

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:13:07 PM by Michigunner »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
.9mm Kahrs...?...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 10:18:02 PM »
>>Thanks, Bill...!  That's got it.  Great chart.  I've actually seen it before, but now I have it as my very own...!...TW<<

Offline rtohio

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
The Kahr PM9 is a great gun. I looked at it and bouught a PM40 for a gun with about the same size and weight and in 40 S&W. My primary CCW is a Scandium in 357 with CT. My PM40 is my backup and I just acquired a R9S. In 200 rounds, I have had some FTFs and several failures to reset the trigger, neither of which I have ever had with the PM40. The weight is so close, but the R9S has the edge in concealability and ease of carry. I think I am a potential cause for the FTFs with too much lube (did like the picture with PTFE grease and maybe overdid it). I hope I can make the R9S my minimum carry gun although the PM40 has night sights and I miss them. Maybe I can be a three CCW person although the Scandium with CT is my preferred primary. Kahrs are quality products as well as Rohrbaughs.

rtohio

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 02:53:26 AM »
The Kahr PM40 has been flawless for me - and works as a pocket pistol when desired.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 06:25:37 AM »
 I note your possession of a Kahr Micro was a past tense thing.  That bad, huh.
I purchased the gun wanting it to be my "always" -- I really wanted to like it. It was a great shooter and ate everything I fed it without any problems. What I disliked about it was that it was internally striker fired (the P9 and the R9 have an external concealed hammer which you can see rise and drop when the trigger is pulled), that striker was in a partially pre-cocked state which meant that is was always under partical tension (again, not the case with the R9 and P9) and it lacked a repeat striker capability. If a round received a lite hit, I've read that in over half the cases, a second hit would fire the round. With the P9 and the R9, all one had to do is pull the trigger a second time to raise and drop the hammer. With the Kahrs, you could pull the trigger all you wanted and nothing would happen until you re-pre-cocked the striker ... a serious minus if you found yourself in an up-close struggle. The R9 and P9 would give you a greater than 50% chance of being able to fire the gun while with the Kahrs, it would be 0%.

Don't get me wrong, my MK9 was a great shooter ...

... but despite it's compact size, I just didn't fee comfortable with it as my CCW gun for the reasons listed. Too bad, too sad because I really wanted it to be my "always" gun -- an honor which now belongs to my P9, which, by the way, I own more than one of because I like them so much ...

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 06:27:25 AM »
Oops -- double tap ... system was acting up -- sorry about that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 06:28:55 AM by Fud »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 01:43:48 PM »
The Colt P9 is a great little gun, I have two, and if it were'nt for the R9 it would be my carry always. 8)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 02:04:04 PM »
You mentioned that you picked up a K9. I have one and it's been aabsolutely outstanding for me. It's one of the guns that I've owned that has never had a single malfunction in approx. 2000 rounds. Designed around +P ammo. Easy to shoot accurately. I would definitely trust my life with it. In my opinion it's the best Kahr model.
Everyone seems to want the MK series or the PM series but if you want a true pocket gun, I don't think any of the Kahr models are the best choice.
For IWB carry, the K9 is a good choice and I see no advantage in going with the MK9. The K9 is small enough to conceal well and yet large enough to get a fiirm grip on (I find the grip to be one of the most comfortable of any I've held) and substantial enough to be comfortable to shoot all day long.

Offline rtohio

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 08:22:03 PM »
As far as the striker problem with a Kahr, I have never had mine fail to fire where my R9S has lite hit several times in the first two hundred rounds due to my inability to completely reset the trigger. I have never failed to reset the trigger on my Kahr PM40 and have never had a malfunction after the first 5 rounds. I want to trust the R9S but have not been able to as yet. Also, my primers on the R9S seem to be flattened indicating a problem (headspace?). Has anyone had a similar effect? Not a few, but every primer is cratered and virtually flat. I will try to take pictures this weekend and post them.

RTOhio