Author Topic: Wilson-izing my R9S  (Read 7499 times)

Offline Corvette

• Expert
Wilson-izing my R9S
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
I'm considering completely dissembling my R9 and sending the parts to Wilson.
How difficult is it to totally disassemble an R9?
Needless to say, I'm rather nervous about doing it.
Have any of you done it?

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:53:37 PM by 68hodaka »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Wilson-izing my R9S
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Just my thinking; you should let Wilson disassembly the R9.  I think I've read somewhere they would rather do it instead of getting a box full of parts.  Something could be missing when they receive the box.  Again, I'm just thinking.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:01:51 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Corvette

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »
Just my thinking; you should let Wilson disassembly the R9.  I think I've read somewhere they would rather do it instead of getting a box full of parts.  Invertinly, something could be missing when they receive the box.  Again, I'm just thinking.

I gave Wilson a call.
I was told that they don't have anyone experienced with R9 assembly.
The only gun they'll take apart, coat and re-assemble is a 1911.
Rohrbaugh just sent them parts to coat.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:02:04 PM by 68hodaka »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
I haven't done it either, so would be nervous also.  I would be afraid a spring or something would go flying and I couldn't find it.  Had that happen to a Browning Model 1922.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
you could do like the P22 bible recommends for taking apart the P22----put the pistol inside a gallon freezer bag and stick your hands inside the bag and work on it in there--that way any parts that fly off are contained in the bag.

you still gotta figure out how it all goes back together when you get it back though!!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »

I gave Wilson a call.
I was told that they don't have anyone experienced with R9 assembly.
The only gun they'll take apart, coat and re-assemble is a 1911.
Rohrbaugh just sent them parts to coat.

If that's the case I would call Maria at Rohrbaugh and see if you sent the gun to them they could tear it down send it to Wilson and then reassemble and test it. It might be worth a couple of bucks to know it will be 100% when you get it back.
  Robar doe's the teardown and reassembly on R9s, it seems odd that a place like Wilson Combat has no one on the payroll with enough gun knowledge to do the job, yet they expect the average gun owner to do it.  :o

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
    I wonder if they would give me a discount for them not having to do the parts I'd lost? Seriously, if that was their last word then I would tell them to forget it. There is something not right when a company in that kind of business can't disassemble ANY weapon, but expects an amateur like most of us are to do it.   Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
I agree.  I would definitely see if Rohrbaugh would do the honors of disassembly and sending to Wilson and then reassembly, or send it to Robar, or Accurate Plating & Weaponry, as they both do all the work.

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »
Bob Cogan took down more than one of these pistols now. I followed Corey's lead and had mine hard chromed there...

Mark
Mark

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
Jason told me last week that they have done about 50 of the suckers now.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
I really like Bob Cogan's work!  Outstanding, for sure!

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
Yeah, after seeing it in photos, then in person, the work is just plain incredible! He's my go to guy for any pistol work now.

Mark

Mark

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:34:52 AM »
Curt,
  I had a fairly lengthy conservation with Bob Cogan @ Accurate Plating & Weaponry this afternoon, I mentioned your post about Wilson Combat, he suggested you check the specs on Cerakote and check the specs on the finish Wilson is offering.
  He said he doe's the Cerakote and it is very durable and one of the best finishes you can get.
 Here is a link to the Cerakote info.

http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Corvette

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
Curt,
  I had a fairly lengthy conservation with Bob Cogan @ Accurate Plating & Weaponry this afternoon, I mentioned your post about Wilson Combat, he suggested you check the specs on Cerakote and check the specs on the finish Wilson is offering.
  He said he doe's the Cerakote and it is very durable and one of the best finishes you can get.
 Here is a link to the Cerakote info.

http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php

John

Thanks for the information John.
I'll contact them right away.

Curt

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »
Curt,
  Keep us posted on how you make out.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson