Author Topic: Right hand draw from left hand back pocket holster  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
Right hand draw from left hand back pocket holster
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »
Do any of you right handers carry or have carried a back pocket holster made for left handers? I would think you would be able to use a palm out draw. I haven't carried in the back pocket but would like to and have found a left handed Hedley.

Also, does the bulk of the holster cause a gap in the top of jean type pockets and if so, does this cause a problem? I normally wear Levis jeans and could see that the backstrap of the pistol would be visible from the top of the pocket.

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
Re: Right hand draw from left hand back pocket hol
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
Wearing a 33 waist Levis jean myself, I had the same issues/concerns as you describe in the second part of your question/statement therefore I sold the rear pocket holster!
I never tried the left handed deal. 8)
Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
I just got a new back pocket holster from Meco, and it does push the pocket open a little bit in jeans. I'm just going to try to make sure I wear shirts that hang low enough to cover it.

I actually almost went with the left-handed one like you suggest, because the palm-out draw makes more sense to me... but honestly I think either way will work fine.

Also, thought I'd throw this out there. I expected rear pocket carry to be a (literal) pain in the ass while sitting down... but it is really surprising how comfortable it is. It's actually less noticeable than my wallet, I guess because even though it's thicker, it's spread over a decent sized area.

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »
How a pocket holster fits all depends on the pants one is wearing.  I've got both front-pocket and rear-pocket holsters I use, and which one depends on which pants I have on.  Some dress slacks tend to have short pockets in the back, but deep front pockets.  My wife has bought me some "designer" jeans (She gets tired of my Costo jeans) and they all tend to have rear pockets plenty deep for a holster.

The only blanket statement is that Levi jeans do not work well for rear-pocket carry, as they have shallow pockets.

If the top of the pocket is slightly open, I don't think it's a problem if you have a black firearm in a black holster.  nobody is going to notice unless they are deliberately looking.

I've carried the R9 quite a bit in my back pocket, and will continue.

One guy's solution to shallow pockets-

At the SHOT Show last January, one guy showed us how he likes to put a right-hand Recluse holster in his left rear pocket, upside-down.  That way, the gun is totally covered by the holster, and simply looks like a wallet.  He withdrew it very quickly, with two hands:

-Left hand pulls gun and holster out of the pocket.
-Right hand withdraws the gun from the holster, just as if it were in the normal, upright position, while both hands remain behind his back.

I tried it, and actually works quite well.  My preference will remain to buy pants with deep pockets!

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
So... not to thread-jack, but how's that Recluse prototype coming?  ;)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
It has been a while since the last update.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
Two possible solutions to the problem of shallow back pockets for CCW -- (1) Have the pocket(s) of choice deepened inside by a professional tailor or seamstress (a simple task for slacks having internal pockets but a tricky and relatively expensive job on jeans with outside patch pockets); (2) Switch from jeans to BDUs.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »
So... not to thread-jack, but how's that Recluse prototype coming?  ;)

We found the problem why the trigger blocks were so inconsistant, so we're making a new mold that should solve the problems.

I was rejecting over half the trigger blocks, so we stopped until we could figure out why.  Hopefully we'll be on track soon to make these available.

Thanks for asking.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the input. I bought Corey's Hedley Back Pocket holster. I'll try it with the Levis but need it mainly when I'm out doing photography work (I usually wear 5.11s at those times). The rig I carry when shooting pictures prohibits IWB carry and my lens pouches can get in the way of front pocket draw. Ankle carry is not an option since when shooting sports I'm on my knees a lot and the venues I shoot in won't take too kindly to seeing a firearm on my ankle.

Last time I back pocket carried was twenty years ago with a Beretta Tomcat and the shoot from back pocket holster.