Author Topic: VZ GRIPS  loosening?  (Read 4444 times)

Offline jeffgraham

VZ GRIPS  loosening?
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »
I would like to buy some VZ's (red) but my pup has the original carbon fiber blue grips and is stone cold reliable.  I am nervous about putting on new grips and losing the reliability as I know it is critical with the pup that the grips stay tight.  Can anyone comment and confirm or allay my fears please?  Also I read on a defensive carry forum some joker claiming Karl had told him after he shot 150 rounds thru his R9 that it wasn't intended to be shot that much but rather "shot a little and carried" 8)!!!  I've put 1100 rounds thru mine and the only problem I have ever had with the gun is the grips did loosen once and that stops the pup.  The rest of you folks are shooting the thing aren't you?

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: VZ GRIPS  loosening?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »
I have the VZ grips on my PUP and have expierenced no problems. I did replace the screws with the screws Yankee2500 sells in the classified ads.

I also purchased a HUDY precision Allen wrench to prevent stripping out the screws. I check the screws on a regular basis to verify they are tight. I do this if I am carrying or shooting.

I have not shot as many rounds as you through my R9. I am usually good for a magazine a month. I then, clean it, lube it and put it back in my pocket. :)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »
Jeff:

I often change out the grips on my R9. I have on hand Blue CFs, Black CFs, Silver Aluminums, OD Green Aluminums, "Hyena" Brown VZs, Hogue Extreme Series, and Ivories (pre-ban). My R9 has been totally reliable with all of them.

As for the grip screws, I use rubber mini O-rings under the screw heads to keep the screws from backing out of the frame during firing.  

And as for that silly 150-round "urban legend," it is totally absurd. Rarely has a comment been so distorted and repeated out of context as has Karl Rohrbaugh's "carried a lot, shot a little" comment. All he meant is that the R9 was designed to be a self-defense weapon, not a recreational target pistol. There are members of this Forum who have run more than 5,000 rounds through their R9s. The only requirement is to keep the R9 clean, let it cool down a bit after extended strings of fire, and change out the recoil springs after 200-300 rounds or so. (The recoil springs cost only $4.99 each through the company's web page.)  Order a dozen at a time. In a 13-ounce pistol chambered for a full-house 9mm Parabellum cartridge, the recoil spring has a lot of work to do.

Good shooting!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
Hi Richard-

This sounds like an excellent alternative to Loctite.  What size mini o-rings do you use?  Is the OD of the o-ring the same as the OD of the screw head?  

-Chris

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
Hi Richard-

This sounds like an excellent alternative to Loctite.  What size mini o-rings do you use?  Is the OD of the o-ring the same as the OD of the screw head?  

-Chris

Chris:

Here is a link to the seller on eBay from whom I purchased my mini O-rings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Washer-O-ring-Assortment-storage-case-3mm-22mm-/190567384174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c5eb3846e

As shown in the photograph on eBay, the boxes contain rings of assorted sizes. Those I use for my R9 grip screws have the same OD as that of the screw heads, and the rings compress tightly into the openings of the grip panels. The amount of torque I use could be described as "finger tight."

Delivery of my order from Great Britain required about 10 days or so, if I recall correctly.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Thanks for the source of the o-rings and the additional information.  I'll be placing an order soon.

Offline jeffgraham

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:48:53 AM »
Thanks to all who responded.  Especially the info. regarding the mini O ;D rings.  Now what color grips am I going to get!!!!