Author Topic: Mag Extensions for R9  (Read 8205 times)

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
Mag Extensions for R9
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »
Hello All,
  I don't know what thread that I read this on, but it said that the Pierce Grips Mag Extensions for the Kahr/Colt Pocket Nine work on the R9 with some slight modification to allow for heel release mechanism, and greatly improve cotrollability during firing. Well, I took one off of my Pocket Nine, and started whittling on it and got it to work. I didin't fire the pup with it on there, but racked the slide to cycle through six rounds, and everything seemed to work. Looks pretty cool too. Only thing is..I got big hands and the more I handled it the more I didn't like. I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried this and how they like / dislike it. I think I just ruined a perfectly good Mag Extension trying to make a perfect Gun better ???
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
Re: Mag Extensions for R9
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »
I experimented on a Pierce mag extention too.  I kept it from a PM9 I used to own.  I originally cut,filed and smoothed it down to be more compact and stealthly for my Kahr, when I read that post I decided to dig it up and try it on my R9.  More filing and cutting and smoothing and now it fits my R9.  It's big enough so that my middle finger stays on the front strap and does not slide off when shooting but small enough to still slip in my pocket and doesn't disrupt it's concealibity.  Works fine no reliability issues and looks kinda  8) too.

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 08:58:29 PM »
I'm interested as well...Tom do you have any info?

Perception...Reality...?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:19:09 PM »
Neal, should happen soon.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »
I will keep an open mind however a grip extension on a small pup seems like using up unneeded space.

I might try one though and see how it works out. I am adjusted to wrapping my pinky under the grip. :-/
NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR PUP!
CHECK 360

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
I tried a modified Pearce grip extension, too.  It worked okay, fit pretty good, and did look cool.  But I hated it, and found I could control the gun better with my pinky under the grip.

I also tried the skateboard tape on the front & backstraps.  Function was good, but the tape got to looking ragged after a month of daily carry.  

Finally I settled on a Pachmayr sleeve.  Had to grind the finger groove off.  They always seem to be in the wrong place for my fingers.  But it's been six months and I haven't felt the need to change again.

The real proof is in the shooting.  I can fire my monthly couple of mags and my hand doesn't notice it.

Steve  

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:47:34 PM »
I was shooting a Kahr PM9 and Glock 27 without the extensions on them and had to 2 finger the grip with pinky under the mag, got real comfortable with that and the pup was a natural.

One handed shooting works out nice for me as well with the R9S.
NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR PUP!
CHECK 360

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:14:36 PM »
I think the trick on the mag extensions, is to be straight inline with grip, not hooked.    Straight doesn't bunch up the fingers....
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:51:31 AM »
RJ:

It's good to hear from you again over here, old friend! I hope all is going well for you and yours in this new year.

(Your holster is wrapped around R9 No. 132 in my front pocket this morning . . . as usual.   8) )
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:54:18 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtmoore4

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »

Finally I settled on a Pachmayr sleeve.  Had to grind the finger groove off.  They always seem to be in the wrong place for my fingers.  But it's been six months and I haven't felt the need to change again.

Steve,

Which sleeve did you buy, the #4 or #5?

http://www.pachmayr.com/slip-on-grips.php

How well do they fit?

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
rtmoore4,
I think it was a #4, but there is no marking on the sleeve.
However, even after trimming the leading edge, I found the sleeve would squirm around just enough to preload the magazine in the "eject" direction.  And the mag ejected itself twice at the range.  I pulled the sleeve off.  The mag(s) behaved for the rest of the session, and ever since.  
So, back to the skateboard tape. It's non-intrusive and works fine for me.

Steve

Offline DHS

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »
Pearce grip extension for all micro kahr (kahr mk9)
I notched mine with an exacto knife and file, used Pearce inner mag baseplate. It fit perfectly, no slippage and ends up smooth front strap with a Hogue Jr. rubber grip sleeve.  I'll try to add photos.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »
Welcome to the Forum DHS!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
DHS, welcome from Texas as well, enjoy.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus