Author Topic: Serrations on the mag release.  (Read 6038 times)

Offline Cap.

Serrations on the mag release.
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:30 AM »
Why not file a few serrations onto the magazine release?

When it's raining  (like it does here constantly in the pacific north west) it is very easy to slip when attempting to release the magazine.

Seems like adding some serrations on the mag release 'hook' would give it a tad bit more bite and it would be easier to remove the magazine with wet hands.

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
Re: Serrations on the mag release.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »
I don't know if this is the reason or not but if it is serrated and in your pocket it might wear wholes in your pocket in that area.  I personally have no illusions that I am going to be carrying and pumping magazines in and out and therefore am satisfied as is, jmo.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:55:21 PM »
Cap,  I like the idea.  Fellow Pacific North WET resident.

I've seen other guns with this style of mag release that have serrations.  I think I will look into doing this, though I don't think this is a diy job.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline IOM

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
The Seecamps have this, and it does help.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »
I agree.  I do like it on my Seecamp, although I'm not going to change anything on the R9.  It stays factory made.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:44:27 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nra-Life-Member

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »
I would not take such a nice gun out in the rain.. ;D

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
Heck, if I don't take it out in the rain it will stay home 9 months of the year.

And that just won't do.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »

Take it out in the rain but don't file on it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Very prudent, for sure.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
Cap.,
I agree with the other members about not filing on the mag release - BUT - why not call Maria at Rohrbaugh and see about buying an extra release.  (Even though the release isn't on the list of 'regular' spare parts like springs and grip screws, Rohrbaugh has been pretty good about selling me various internal bits.)

Then you can find a gunsmith to serrate it for you or you can  buy a checkering file from Brownell's or Midway and do it yourself.  If you've done any hobby gunsmithing and have a selection of drift punches, it isn't too hard to switch out the mag release without sending the hammer spring to the dark place under the furnace where all freed small parts seem to go!

I respect the opinion of the members who wish to keep their R9 pistols pristine, but I've always felt changes that make a gun, or engine, or whatever, work better for me are good things.  As long as I can go back to the stock set-up.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.  You've got me thinking about serrating my mag release, but my Dad always told me to practice on the other guy's stuff first....;D

Steve

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »
Gentlemen:

Thanks for a great idea; after reading your comments on the mag release serration idea I decided to cut a small piece of 3M tape and slap it on the underside working side of the mag release. It is about 1/4" by 5/16" and serves the purpose quite well.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »
Now that's the way to do it, great idea Tracker.  Gives me an excuse to get into the garage tomorrow night!

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
Cap - great idea!

I have no problems improving my carry gun when it come to tactics.

Thanks

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
It wouldn't hurt if it were a bit bigger too.  Seems to me that some of the early Walthers were designed to smear the heal of your hand across the bottom of the magazine to catch and release the magazine.  Instead of using your fingers, as I have to with the R9.