Author Topic: Front and backstrap checkering.  (Read 20515 times)

Offline Josey Wales

Front and backstrap checkering.
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:10:26 AM »
Hello and Happy New Year!

Who would you suggest that would be able to offer front and back strap checkering with refinish to the frame of an R-9 Stealth.

Does anyone have a picture of this done to your beauty?

My hands are big and getting arthritic I would feel much better with some added help holding on to my R-9.

Thanks!

On edit, I just saw Coreys post and will look into it further.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Front and backstrap checkering.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
JW:

Welcome to the Forum!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
The checkering adds lots of grip and is very pretty!  The r9 I currently carry is stippled and that seems to add almost as much gripping help but at a MUCH lower price. The checkered grips help alot to if you don't have those it would be my sugestion to start with those and you may find it to be enough.  

Welcome!

Corey

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »
Thank you Richard.

Corey,

I looked up stipple and I reckon that would be a good alternative.  If you don't mind, who did yours and do you have any pics?

Thanks
J.W.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »
Bob Cogan did it also.  Same fellow that did the checkering on the other one.  He does fantastic work.  I'll have to take a few pictures.  I can't find any right now.
Corey

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
OK, I just took a few so here you go.

And if you decide to get stippleing over checkering you can use the cash saved to stock up on ammo!

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »
Thank You Corey for going out of your way to post these pics.
I reckon I'll seek stippling for my Stealth along with new grips :)

Offline rohrbo man

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
I'm interested in doing the stippling on my stealth. Does it have to be sent back to the factory to be re-finished afterward or can a gunsmith refinish it? thanks

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 01:56:32 AM »
I'm interested in doing the stippling on my stealth. Does it have to be sent back to the factory to be re-finished afterward or can a gunsmith refinish it? thanks

I'm willing to bet money, marbles or chalk that the frame on a stealth is hard anodized and maybe has a clear coat over it.  I know of nobody who is a smith who has the facility to do hard anodizing.    I haven't been inside the rohrbaugh to see what it's got for pins etc that are permanent or semi permanent inside,  but in order to anodize (hard or otherwise) all steel has to be removed prior to the process.   That's why most companies that have guns done,  refuse to offer refinish on black, hard anodized frames.   That includes Colt, S&W, and SIG for starters.

There is a company out in California that I heard about that does it but they charge money by the lb to do pistol frames and you must remove all steel prior to their involvement.   Bill Bassett of Bassett Tool and Machine in Dripping Springs, TX, told me he had his LW Commander redone by the folks who do his M1A scope mounts for him, but he had to remove all the steel parts and I haven't seen it or have any knowledge of how good a job they did.   His scope mounts look great.  If you call him he would probably tell you who they are and whether they might do it.   He's a friend of mine and he speaks the truth if you call him, but he is an old curmudgeon so expect it.    Tell him I said so.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:57:46 AM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:28 AM »
Here is checkering and chrome plating done by Cogan.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
  It wouldn't be cost effective for a gun smith to operate and maintain an anodize setup. Another issue would be zoning laws were there shop is located, although they can do there smith work the chemicals involved for anodize would create other issues.

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 01:48:58 AM »
It seems this thread does not have closure.  Does anyone have a picture of a stealth that's had front and backstrap checkering or stippling?  I would imagine they just use some type of impact tool to do stippling and that might not do too much of a number on the original black finish...  or would it?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
The more i see, the more I belive Cogan is the way to go...but I have the same questions about the Stealth...I meant to call him this week and inquire, but just didn't find the time. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »
Is this the same man that had a shop in Tampa FL years ago? If so, he did some A+, excellent work for several of my guns at that time. Ricardo
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline mr.acosta

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »
I took my pup to my gunsmith and he recomended stimpling as well for added saving over checkering but was a little leary over the thin aluminum frame of the front strap, any  thoughts? don't want distort the shape of the inner mag well......