Author Topic: Bored?  (Read 12092 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Bored?
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2005, 02:28:52 PM »
You're more than welcome, Mike.  Enjoy the book.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2005, 05:48:42 PM »
Mike:  

I might add that my mother once told me back in Oklahoma that my Cherokee grandmother was very  proud of Tom Three Persons after he had won that first "World Championship" bronc riding contest at the 1912 Calgary Stampede.  So were countless other so-called Native Americans.  

The scars of the Indian Wars were still relatively fresh in 1912, and my grandmother was quick to take comfort from the success of any of her fellow Native Americans.  In those days, not only was my grandmother often stigmatized for being "an Indian" but also, as a woman, she didn't even have the right to vote.  (You will recall that the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was not ratified until 1920.)  As mother told it, when grandmother finally got the right to vote, she would always get to the polls on election day regardless of the weather, even standing in a broiling sun or a driving rain to cast her ballot.  (The little old lady also slept with a nickel-plated revolver under her pillow until the day she died.)  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2005, 08:33:31 PM »
Richard,
   You are very fortunate to be descended from such a wonderful, resilient lady. To persevere in the face of such adversity is practically beyond comprehension. We are indeed lucky to have had such  hardy and noble forefathers to set us on a straight and honest course, not that we as a nation didn't stray off course every once and a while.  I think Tom Three Persons was a Great man and I never get tired of hearing stories about him, and of course the Texas Ranger's. I think they exemplify the great qualities that this country was founded on. And every once in a while, just when I think that things aren't looking so good, and the best is behind us, I look at todays Rangers, Navy Seal's, Army Special Force's, Delta, USMC Recon and the rest and I realize there are still rough men and women at the ready each night to do whatever it may take so that we and our loved ones may sleep safe in our beds. We are still in very good and capable hands. These young men and women, direct descendants of Sir Francis Marion, The old Swamp Fox himself, make him proud Every day with their every action. From the wind talkers of WWII to the Speceial Operations folks of today. They are hero's every last one. I'm Proud to call them " Fellow Americans!"

Mike
doubletapMike