Author Topic: Pocket Knife Traded for a New R9  (Read 13486 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
RichardRe: Pocket Knife Traded for a New R9
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 10:00:15 AM »
Richard, thanks for your Bushmills toast. We need your kind thoughts.
What has happened to doubletapmike?
I shipped his new Seecamp .380 and he is too quiet and silent.
Maybe he is too busy at the range.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: Pocket Knife Traded for a New R9
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 10:46:35 AM »
This thread is starting to feel like sitting around the campfire on one of those nice summer nights have a couple and telling stories.  Someone pass the bottle back to Richard and maybe we can get him to tell us about that hunting incident he hinted about in another thread a while back.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 05:28:09 PM »
Rocnerd:

You may be referring to my three-season effort to bag a certain mule deer buck in the Challis Wilderness of Idaho.  I think I may have referred to it previously.  Some night, after three fingers or so of some of Tom's recommended elixir, I'll have to do some reminiscing.  :)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2005, 12:51:03 PM »
Well, I hope I am around the campfire that night. :)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »
Me too, I have an extra jar of Bushmills to pass around.
Tom

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 09:28:01 PM »
Richard,
Be very careful if you get into collecting custom knives. While there are hundreds of very good makers, there are only a handful who make knives that will appreciate in value.

Please feel free to post threads asking for advice. I've owned 30 or so custom knives over the years. I've made money on most that I've sold, but not all. I've lost money on some as well.

I'll be happy to share what I've learned. I've been an associate  member of the ABS for almost 20 years and the knifemakers guild for a few.
Welcome home

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 11:54:33 PM »

Yes I agree with RTW - collecting custom knives can be a slippery slope, and expensive,  if you're not careful.  The bobcat skidloader pictured on Page 7 of the "Ouitside my Window" thread was bought with the money I received when I decided to sell most of my custom knife collection.

Now if I don't plan on using the knife I don't buy it.  That is why I put that Massey knife up for sell under classified.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Bi-Coastal. Bi-Polar. You decide...
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 07:53:33 PM »
Richard,
Be very careful if you get into collecting custom knives. While there are hundreds of very good makers, there are only a handful who make knives that will appreciate in value.

Please feel free to post threads asking for advice. I've owned 30 or so custom knives over the years. I've made money on most that I've sold, but not all. I've lost money on some as well.

I'll be happy to share what I've learned. I've been an associate  member of the ABS for almost 20 years and the knifemakers guild for a few.

RTW-glad you are along with us for the ride. I've been an Honorary Member of the Knifemakers Guild for 27 years, but just recently joined
the ABS as an Honorary Member, too! Yes, you can get burned sometimes, but quite frankly, I collect what I like and when I don't like it anymore I sell it, if I'm willing to part with it, regardless of whether I make a profit on it or not. I NEVER include my collection in my financial portfolio, or even part of my portfolio (Partfolio?;^).

There are some no brainer collectibles, but as always, they can go down or up, depending on the season, almost. I've seen schizo stuff happen in the market. One year tactical are hot. Next year not. Then back again, etc.

BTW-too bad you have to part with that Massey Hunter. It's one of the most amazing fixed blade knives I've ever seen.

Steve
PS-you know why they call it Bi-Polar these days? Cause no one could spell skitsofrenik;^)
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline J_Oei

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2005, 06:00:42 PM »
Oh boy, other places to spend money.

Well, let's make this easy.  (Especially as all our funds are down after the Christmas season, but if Santa didn't treat you right, you are allowed to treat yourself!)

Knives http://www.bladeforums.com
I'm a big Microtech fan, but I EDC a Sebenza.
It is legal in Florida to carry an auto, but not all
police officers know that.
(Just bought a Lochsa, but would rather have a smaller version)

Watches http://www.timezone.com
IWC all the way!!

Flashlights http://www.candlepowerforums.com
There is more to illumination than a Maglite or Surefire!
Come here to learn more.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2005, 08:07:03 PM »
J-Oei, great site for good stuff. I talked with high end jeweler who handles IWC and he said IWC is not worth the prices and don't hold their value.
Tom