Author Topic: 2006 SHOT Show -- First Rohrbaugh Report  (Read 13985 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
2006 SHOT Show -- First Rohrbaugh Report
« on: February 09, 2006, 09:11:28 AM »
2006 SHOT Show – First Rohrbaugh Report

Las Vegas, Nevada – (Booth 23045).  Rohrbaugh Firearms today announces the introduction of several new variations of its popular R-9s pocket pistol.

-----

Rohrbaugh announces the availability of several Special Edition R-9s models with “English” engraving.  These models will be available with three different levels of engraving, which I have dubbed “standard,” “medium,” and “deluxe.”  These are not the official names.

I do not have pictures or pricing information on the “standard” engraved model, but it will feature about 1/3 less engraving than the “medium” pictured below.

The “medium” engraved model will retail for approximately $2,400 and looks like this:

There will also be a fully engraved deluxe model with more engraving and real gold inlays, that will retail for $3,500 to $4,000.  I am told that the pictures truly do not do justice to this gun:

However, the actual gun shown above, which is serial numbered R-1000, will be auctioned off by Rohrbaugh following its display at the SHOT show.  This will be VERY collectable since it is serial number R-1000 and the very first engraved special edition R-9s offered for sale.  Current bidding is at $3,700.  Contact Maria at the factory to bid.

-----

Rohrbaugh also announced the addition of one (possibly two) new finishes for the R-9s.

Rohrbaugh will definitely offer the R-9s in a new all black finish:

The black finish will command a premium price over the standard R-9 retail price, but the exact amount is yet to be determined.

Rohrbaugh is also considering (and is testing the waters) on a silver frame finish mated with the current stainless steel slide, much like the original silver anodized frames:

The decision to offer the silver frame will depend on the level of interest.

However, the new finish colors are more than just a new anodizing color.  The new finishes will actually be outsourced to Smith & Wesson for application of their brand new proprietary polymer-based anodizing with self-lubricating properties.  I couldn’t get a lot of detail on the nature of the finish or the science behind it, but Rohrbaugh is very excited about it and about their partnership with Smith & Wesson.  This is the same finish that S&W will be offering on some of their 2006 models.

-----

I know there will be some who are disappointed that there is no new caliber or new models, but I think we have to realize that the R-Brothers are doing their very best to crank up production of the much in demand R-9 and meet existing orders.  It sounds like the new black finish may have real practical advantages, as well as cosmetic appeal.  The engraved units promise to be awesome collector pieces.  All in all, the new variations and the new partnership with S&W add up to some very exciting stuff for 2006.  

Of course, this is not an official report from Rohrbaugh, but merely my comments on some inside information I gleaned over the last few days.  I apologize that the quality of the photos are not great – I imagine there will be more forthcoming.  Any errors in this report are solely my own.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: 2006 SHOT Show -- First Rohrbaugh Report
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »
Hey Duane, do you know if they are going back to the blue grips on their engraved models?  Or was that just for the pictures?  Not what I expected, but I do like the engraving and I would love more pictures of the all black model.  Thanks for the info Duane.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:48:13 AM »
Thank you for making this inside information available to us in a timely fashion. The matted silver frame is one that I definitely plan to add to my collection.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:49:37 AM »
Thanks Duane, you saved me alot of money, nothing there I can,t live without. ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »
Duane:

Thanks for the early report.  That engraved No. 1000 takes my breath away!  Whoever wins the auction is going to have a real prize.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
I wonder if one could buy a engraved slide only, maybe in the future? ???
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:28:35 PM »
Huh,

A little dissapointed here. Thought there was going to be more.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »
Newt, that is a good question!!! ::)
I for one would like more info on the black and siver models.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 12:38:36 PM »
Lets just stop and think a moment about what Rohrbaugh really needs to do..... catch up on back orders and keep the quality control up.
Tom

thats a silver model not siver model ;)
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 01:03:05 PM »
I really like the idea of the engraved model.   :D

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
Duane,

Thanks very much for making the super fast report.

Great job!

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:08 PM »
Thx from me too Duane. :)

The engraving is breathtaking - and that R1000, well - someone is going to be well hit in the pocket finally but will have a highly collectible piece of treasure!!

I am perfectly accepting of the current trend - knowing that still the factory has to concentrate on maintaining R9 output - much as I know so many are lusting for the .380.  I can live with that.

The S&W association is a very exciting development indeed.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:57 PM »
Stunning! 8)
That's what the old timers called a "Barbecue Gun".  Great for bragging on at a cook-out.  Of course a "Back-up Barbecue Gun" is the ultimate bragging piece because it's hidden!  
Maybe RJ or K&D can make up a fancy belt holster for it.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »
Well this, to me, is much ado about nothing.  I will put the engraved Rohrbaugh on my list right behind the engraved Lamborghini.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 05:14:10 PM »
Hey guys,

I know some will be disappointed.  We all got ourselves worked up for more perhaps -- but that was pretty unrealistic.  With years of R&D for the R-9, when do they have time for more right now?

There is new stuff in the pipe I am sure -- but for down the road.  I am sure those waiting for an R-9 want to know that production is consuming their full attention.

I know the .380 is forthcoming -- just don't know when.  I also know there is another R-9 variant in the works that just couldn't be finished in time for the show.

Also, I know some are not enthused about engraving--being soley for cosmetic purposes, but the other finishes are exciting -- especially to the degree they are self-lubricating!  More on that as I find out.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com