Author Topic: Caught the Bug  (Read 9476 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Caught the Bug
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »
Ok,

I am going way off topic here but here goes.

**Edited by DDGator -- I agree, too far off topic! ***

So, now that tracker has coaxed these truisims out of me, shall we return to the principal topic of the forum.  I like these kinds of foreys in to the philosopical, but they are not the purpose of the forum.

My brass grips are so sweet, photos do not do them justice,  not to heavy, perfect.  I am looking forward to a range session.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:42:16 PM by admin »
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
Ok I know this post drifted a little but I will try and get it back on track. ;D
Are most of you using the R-9 as a back up or single carry and if so what is your primary weapon. The last two weeks I have carried the R9 as my primary when I used to carry my SW640. I looked at the Kimber raptor this wekend and it is a nice gun but don't think I have to go that crazy so basically what is everyone have on their side? Thanks

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
The R9 is it for me.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »
garymass,

In answer to your question, both.  Sometimes I carry only one R9 and sometimes I carry both of my R9's.  The R9 is both a primary and secondary defense for me.  I just can't conceil anything larger than the R9 as I am not a very big person.  I wish my state allowed open carry so I could put something on my side but alas, I cannot.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
The political part of this thread is too far off topic and was getting a litte too deep for this forum.  Edited in part -- no offense intended.  Keep on with the R-9 discussions!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 11:17:11 AM »
Ok I know this post drifted a little but I will try and get it back on track. ;D
Are most of you using the R-9 as a back up or single carry and if so what is your primary weapon. The last two weeks I have carried the R9 as my primary when I used to carry my SW640. I looked at the Kimber raptor this wekend and it is a nice gun but don't think I have to go that crazy so basically what is everyone have on their side? Thanks

Gary:

For me, it depends on the environment in which I'll be moving and the type of attire I'll be wearing, but the R9 is what I call "my always gun." When possible, especially when going into certain remote and questionable areas, I'll carry that laser-equipped 1911 I described above or my recently acquired HK P7 as primary with the R9 as backup. At other times, the R9 will be primary with one of the NAA Guardians in the back pocket as backup. Often, the R9 will be the only weapon carried -- but I always have the R9 in my strong-side front pocket whenever and wherever it is legal to do so.

It goes without saying that it is important to practice regularly with each weapon which may be carried so as to maintain proficiency (some might call it "muscle memory") with each piece. With enough practice, the use of each weapon according to its individual "manual of arms" becomes almost second nature as soon as it is taken into hand.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Novanglus

• Molon labe!
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »
It goes without saying that it is important to practice regularly with each weapon which may be carried so as to maintain proficiency (some might call it "muscle memory") with each piece. With enough practice, the use of each weapon according to its individual "manual of arms" becomes almost second nature as soon as it is taken into hand.

Hear! Hear! to the importance - the responsibility - of  regular proficiency practice with defense arms!  
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.  Patrick Henry

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
R9 always and maybe a S&W 432pd or 1911 as primary weapon Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »
garymass -  I have been carrying concealed since the TX law was enacted and before that many years ago.  My primary carry gun of choice in a 1911.  I'm not saying that is the best.  I think it is one of the best for me.  The key is TRAINING.  Know your weapon well.  Wether it's a CZ or an HK, (which I sometimes carry as well).  
Don't let anyone shove their opinions down your throat.  Just weigh out the features and benefits of each weapon and how it will apply to your daily routine and/or dress.  You may find out like many of us that may take a few different guns.

Train with them, clean them, break them down, know them well.

Happy hunting.

Reinz
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 04:11:06 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
Currently my "Always with me" main is a LWS-380 and backup is a NAA Black Widow on my ankle.  If I know I have to go somewhere iffy I carry my glock 23.  That 22mag is just for when I'm seated in a car and if I could not get to my pocket fast enough.  Soon the pocket gets a R9s and the seecamp goes to the ankle!

Offline firewalker

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
        Reading through this thread has brought up some interesting things. Depending on how we judge great firearms or combat guns is a personal choice.
        From my perspective, I shoot IDPA, and USPSA. When i engage in these fine shooting sports i have found that a 1911 is still a very good weapon. Yes i have tried all the wonder new fantastic plastic thingies out there. But it always comes down to one thing. Accuracy and speed, which i will also assume is necessary in a gun fight.
         So other than pocket carry which i have aquired a 380 guardian, and an R9 for. There is simply no other platform as accurate and fast as a good 1911.  I shoot STI, Kimber, and will soon add a Colt LW commander in 38 super. ;D

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fan, and have been for MANY years, but after getting a HK P7, I'd almost argue the "accurate and fast" part.... ;)
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"