Author Topic: Barrel Length and Chronograph Data  (Read 6107 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Barrel Length and Chronograph Data
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
It becomes a catch 22 situation, the faster the powder burns the more pressure it creates. So trying to push a bullet faster in a short barrel without going into a +P situation is a difficult task.
  You wouldn't believe how much unburned powder is on the floor at an indoor range.

John

I'm sure that's why the author of the article I read calls it a waste using the +P bullet in a 2 - 3 inch barrel.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »

Three inches appears to be the tipping point; anything much less than 3 is wasted, for now at least, but there is gain at 3 and above, such as the Kahr CW9, for example, which is 3.6".

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
Good point, tracker.  The Boberg Shorty will be able to shoot the +P round and its barrel is 3.35 inches.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »

And, as well, the Glock 26 at 3.46" can handle the +P and its additional performance to some degree.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
More good news.  I gotta get another Glock!  Still liking that Glock 33!  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »
I would skip the G-26 and go to the G-27 same size but more punch without a +P round and still the option of the +P 40 caliber.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 02:00:59 PM »
I don't disagree with you except for the relative abundance and lower cost of .9mm. A police instructor I met at Academy Sporting Goods showed me his CCW, a Glock 27, outside  the store that had a frame modification by Dale Hunnicutt who does grip reduction work, among other things. It really felt good to hold compared to a stock Glock.

http://www.gripreductions.com/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:53:54 PM by tracker »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
More good news.  I gotta get another Glock!  Still liking that Glock 33!  

I have a 19 and a 26 and I am now trying to decide between the 27 and 33. May just get the 27 and then get the .357 conversion for it. .357 ammo is not that easy to find locally either.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:39:08 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
I really like the Glock 33, so seems the 27 will be next.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
I don't disagree with you except for the relative abundance and lower cost of .9mm. A police instructor I met at Academy Sporting Goods showed me his CCW, a Glock 27, outside  the store that had a frame modification by Dale Hunnicutt who does grip reduction work, among other things. It really felt good to hold compared to a stock Glock.

http://www.gripreductions.com/

During the recent ammo crunch the one caliber I could always find was 40 S&W, that is what prompted me to purchase the Kahr PM40.
  There is not much price difference between 9mm & 40 S&W ammo, for Gold Dot LE  on a 500 round case the 9mm is $244.95 and the 40 S&W is $254.95 @ Ammo to Go even the per box price is $1

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 04:40:29 PM »
Another good choice.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »
John,
You're right; prices are coming down dramatically since I last purchased any pistol ammo. There was a spell here where .9mm became available and .40 couldn't be found anyplace.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:33:53 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
I really like the Glock 33, so seems the 27 will be next.

Well, I've decided the Glock 27 isn't the one; so back to the drawing board.    ;)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
Maybe you should look at the Kahr 40s they have models with metal frames and polymer frames.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_40sw.html

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
John.  Decided I didn't need the .40 caliber.