Author Topic: Kimber Solo  (Read 9205 times)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
Kimber Solo
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
Does anyone have any info on this gun.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Kimber Solo
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
Here's one that just sold; well, on the 16th.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218387217

Here's a video on the takedown and reassembly if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46w2bwEE9s
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:27:41 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:11:22 PM »
I like the gun, and Buds had them at $680. But I wonder if buying the first batch is a smart move?

At least it's a new design. Most guns today are juts Philipine copies of the 1911

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
I like the gun But I wonder if buying the first batch is a smart move?

I hear ya, reveiws sure have been mixed.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

It looks and feels good but I wouldn't touch it for awhile.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
I agree with Tracker totally.

Look at Ruger, known as the King of reliability.  Their last 3 pistols out of 4 (not the LC9 - yet) has been recalled.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »
I know there is a price difference between the R9 and the Solo, but when I handled the Solo it just didn't feel well made. This is my opinion and I was looking at hundreds of guns, but I did not do back flips when I handled it.The refinement on the R9 is not likely to be found on a production gun.

So, if the Solo functions well and there are no huge issues with the design( and that is great advise to wait to buy one) then you would consider the cost and buy one.
I have an R9, so I'll stick with it and would love to have another.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
I know there is a price difference between the R9 and the Solo, but when I handled the Solo it just didn't feel well made. This is my opinion and I was looking at hundreds of guns, but I did not do back flips when I handled it.The refinement on the R9 is not likely to be found on a production gun.

So, if the Solo functions well and there are no huge issues with the design( and that is great advise to wait to buy one) then you would consider the cost and buy one.
I have an R9, so I'll stick with it and would love to have another.

This carries a lot of weight for me, coming from Chameleon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:55:39 PM by Reinz »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
I'm serious that we should hold off buying a new model, first off the price is high and tends to settle down a bit, then there is the growing pains and the factory improvements.
I am in total agreement to what the Skunk said earlier.

I was at the SHOT Show when I handled the Solo, so as I stated I really did look at hundreds of guns. Edges felt sharp and overall feel wasn't there.

I have one Kimber 1911, it is and has been great and it's finish was tops, the Solo to me fell short of my expectations.
Wait a year before purchasing one.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I'm serious that we should hold off buying a new model, first off the price is high and tends to settle down a bit, then there is the growing pains and the factory improvements.
I am in total agreement to what the Skunk said earlier.

I was at the SHOT Show when I handled the Solo, so as I stated I really did look at hundreds of guns. Edges felt sharp and overall feel wasn't there.

I have one Kimber 1911, it is and has been great and it's finish was tops, the Solo to me fell short of my expectations.
Wait a year before purchasing one.

Sad to hear this about Kimber - especially for the SHOT SHOW!

Back in the semi-early days of Kimber coming on strong with all the custom shop variations of 1911's, I owned over 30 of them.  Fit and finish were top notch.
  That was before the tax man found me!  :o  Now I just have a few.

I know Kimber is capable of making the Solo right, like Chameleon says, "wait a year".
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:22:34 PM by Reinz »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

There is an interesting comparison and contrast between the opening market salvo of the R9 and Solo. Many of us ordered the R9 sight unseen and waited 1-2 yrs. for delivery and now we seem to be in tacit agreement to wait a year to consider the Solo. Rohrbaugh seems to be very adept at baiting the hook. This is an over simplification and two entirely different products but maybe the concealed carry weapon supply is outrunning demand for now.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »
Rohrbaugh is run by a machinist/gunsmith   ..... these other companies are run by advertising executives

I am having a feeding problem with a new Sig p232, and the service dept is clueless. I get more out of a Dell tech guy in India

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
I agree with you. Although a lot of purists turn up their nose at Kel-Tec, George Kellgren, the owner and engineer might be in the same league as the Rohrbaughs and Larry Seecamp. He certainly has engineered some creative weapons.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:57:19 PM by tracker »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
I agree with you. Although a lot of purists turn up their nose at Kel-Tec, George Kellgren, the owner and engineer might be in the same league as the Rohrbaughs and Larry Seecamp. He certainly has engineered some creative weapons.

There is no question that Mr. Kellgren is a pioneer in the firearm industry.He certainly has my respect and like you said, he's the real deal, the other big manufacture guys are more into marketing. (lying)
Seecamp, Rohrbaugh, Kellgren work on their product, know it, fix it and sell it.
I wish they built cars.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:49:01 PM by chameleon »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
Well, I've never owned a Kel Tec; but have come close to getting the Kel Tec .308; may do that yet.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln