Author Topic: Ammo Reserves?  (Read 7888 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Ammo Reserves?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »
Me too.  I'm starting to do that today!    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
practice makes perfect! ;)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
I am going to see if I can get it down to a science.    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
Enjoy trying! ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
Oh!  I'm not going to try, I'm going to per fect it!    ;D

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »
Getting in on the conversation a bit late I’m afraid….I believe in 1,000 rounds minimum for every gun in the house….I have a bunch of guns….just started building an Ammo bunker.

Now for the bad news….Ammo should only be kept for a maximum of 1-2 years.  After that it becomes extremely unstable and should be shipped immediately to some dude who calls himself AMMOTOAD for disposition and demilitarization.  I’ve been an AMMO troop for most of my adult life and still work in Weapons Test and Evaluation so I’m somewhat of an expert on this……send me a note on the side and I’ll send you my shipping address.  

Seriously though, DDGator got it right.  Cool and dry, household temps will do.  Use surplus ammo cans with the rubber seal and toss in a bag of desiccant if you aren’t sure.  But bottom line, the ammo will outlast danged near all of us, and then some.  I have some WWII era 30.06 black tip armor piercing ammo in cans.  Now these cans are hermetically sealed so a bit more capable of exceeding most storage limitations, but I open a can and it looks like new.   As for care, once loaded, ammo brass should not be polished or lubed.  Certain lubes will penetrate the primer.  I could write a page on what all bad things that can do, but just trust me on that one.  Discolored brass, unless obvious corrosion, is not cause to reject the round.  I’ll see if I can look up the chart and post it soon for some examples.  Small dents are acceptable, but if questionable, don’t use it.  The dents can cause overpressure when fired.  If storing on a concrete floor, use some dunnage, like some 2x4 lumber between ammo container and floor.  Keeps moisture away.    Hope this helps a bit.  If you need more detailed information, let me know and I’ll scan some current military tech data on small arms storage and inspection.  When all else fails, see paragraph two above.   ;)  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »

You're never too late, Toad, and always appreciated.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
And a note on the lumber between the concrete and the steel ammo box, if using pressure treated lumber put plastic over the wood to create a barrier between it and the steel box.
 Pressure treated wood has chemicals that will attack steel, thats why they use special coated deck screws or stainless for treated wood.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2011, 11:55:04 PM »
Okay.  You guys guilt tripped me into actually taking an ammo inventory and organizing the inventory so I can actually find stuff .
I have 6,500 rounds in various calibers, and gages.  But compared to some of the other forum members, my stash is modest.  I'd buy more if I had room.
There are also enough components for me to reload about 3,000  rounds of 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 / .38 Spl.

I even found 16 rounds of .40 S&W BLACK TALON.  Thought I shot up all that I had when Winchester switched to the "less-menacing" design.....

Re: Shelf life of commercial ammo.  I still have a few hundred rounds of milsurp .30 Carbine FMJ ammo I bought after the 1967 Detroit riots.  Irv's Gun Shop in Inkster, MI sold me the carbine brand new for about $100, and WW II vintage ammo in the original military boxes for 5 cents per round.  They still fire reliably in my .30 Carbine.  The primers  & projectiles have sealer on them, and I'm told that the .30 Carbine round was the first U.S. military round to use non-corrosive primers.  I took the ammo out of the boxes and stored it in sealed steel ammo military-style cases.  Should have saved those cardboard boxes....    

Steve

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
I just bought a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and .45 ACP reloads for my gaming habits...

I decided to to a little inventory of my ammo stash and was kind of shocked at the accumulation.  I now have over 9,000 rounds of assorted pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo.

Holy crap!

I am guessing, however, that might be a small number to some of you...  So -- how much do you like to have on hand?

Duane:

Since my wife checks the Forum now and then to see what I have been up to, I have decided that discretion is advised with regard to my ammo reserves.  ;)

Suffice it to say that my ammunition supplies are dispersed among what might be described as "undisclosed secure locations," and that I store my ammunition as carefully with regard to security and environmental controls as I do my weapons.

Your own "stash" seems to be about right for the times.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:20:44 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »
I just bought a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and .45 ACP reloads for my gaming habits...

I decided to to a little inventory of my ammo stash and was kind of shocked at the accumulation.  I now have over 9,000 rounds of assorted pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo.

Holy crap!

I am guessing, however, that might be a small number to some of you...  So -- how much do you like to have on hand?

I get a little quimish if mine goes under 10,000 rds and I'm not at the quimish point yet, however, did get tired of counting the last time I tried to count.  Just know I'm OK.    

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
 ;D