Author Topic: Open Carry in Florida?  (Read 15562 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Open Carry in Florida?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 11:12:57 AM »
Iowa rewrote its carry law and went from a concealed carry permit at the descretion of the County Sheriff to an open or concealed carry on a "shall issue" basis.  If the applicant meets the qualifications, the sheriff must issue him one.  This went into effect Jan 1st.  As I had previously stated in this thread,  the open carry part didn't sound like a good idea to me.  I ran into a City LEO friend of mine and I asked him if they have had any complaints or instances of open carry reported or complained about and he said none what so ever which has surprised his department.  Even with a rash of new permit holders, they seem to be using the privilege wisely.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/open-carry-law-expected-to-pass-03162011

Open-carry law expected to pass
Updated: Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011, 9:22 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011, 9:22 PM EDT

Warren
Elly
TAMPA - Already known as "The Gun-Shine State," critics say Florida is about to get more dangerous with the legislature expected to approve open carrying of firearms.

Open carry allowances have long been restricted to hunters and fisherman.

"As an officer of the law, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'd rather see whose got the gun and who doesn't," said veteran officer Tom Depolis, who was a deputy police chief in Tampa and chief deputy in Hillsborough County.

Depolis, who retired 10 years ago, is the exception among cops we checked with, like Detective Rick Cochran of the Tampa Police Union.

"I don't see anything good that can come of it," he said. I don't see a reason to allow people to openly carry a gun walking down the street or in the store. I don't see that making anybody comfortable."

You'll still need a permit and background check, and you still can't carry a gun, open or concealed in bars, police stations, jails, government meetings, schools or universities or school or pro-athletic events.

Yet with guns still flying off the shelves in Florida, folks in the business hope their customers will use common sense.

"It is going to make some people nervous, I think. We have a lot of people here from states where you're not allowed to have a gun, and tourists are down here all the time, so I hope that when people do start carrying openly they'll keep that in mind, and they do carry tastefully and respect everyone around them."

We met Lamecha Mingo as she was shooting her brand new Glock 40 caliber. She said she bought it for protection, and she likes the idea of carrying it in the open.

"You never know. Just in case something happens, you have that weapon there, maybe you can scare them off, use it to defend yourself," she said.

Other gun owners we talked to worry about becoming a target for bigger, worse criminals.

"If you're open carrying, you could also be the target of a criminal, somebody who knows you're the person with the weapon on you. Everybody else doesn't, maybe I go for you," said Michael Oster.

Hillsborough Sheriff David Gee says his deputies take 40 hours training in just keeping control of their weapons, and he's very concerned about the open carry law.

"Could you imagine", Gee asks, "a Gasparilla parade if only lets say five or 600 or a thousand people showed up with an open firearm, with all the drinking?"

A vote on the bills is expected in the next week or two in Tallahassee. Law enforcement lobbyists say they expect it to pass over their objections.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 10:52:55 PM »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/sheriffs-worried-over-bill-allowing-permit-holders-to-openly-carry-guns/1157792

The Sheriffs disappointed me with their rather ignorant comments.

I won't often open carry, but I would like the right to do so.  Even more so, I would like to de-criminalize the accidental exposure of my gun.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:35 AM »
 My thought on the Bill being worked on here in Florida is, When I am carrying concealed and my weapon accidently exposes itself, does this law relieve me of the worry of suddenly being arrested and becoming a Felon as the risk exists today?
  If it does relieve me of that worry I am 100% behind it.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
I toally agree with the Chief, the law is good for basically one thing, accidental flash of a weapon.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »
A lot of good common sense and wisdom spoken and shown in this thread.
It would be a good idea for the lawmakers to read it or even better attend a focus group of seasoned concealed carriers.

But, that would be like wishing for silver dollars falling from the sky.

They always have to turn it into a Charlie Foxtrot (cluster @#$%).
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
My thought on the Bill being worked on here in Florida is, When I am carrying concealed and my weapon accidently exposes itself, does this law relieve me of the worry of suddenly being arrested and becoming a Felon as the risk exists today?
  If it does relieve me of that worry I am 100% behind it.

Chief

Agree Chief, a number of other posts on here too that said it all very well.  As a Florida resident myself, I would not open carry except when I have the Judge strapped on when out doing yard work or in the brush, but I like the idea of not worrying all the time if my gun was accidently exposed.  I also hope, as some have mentioned, that the OC law would not be the eventual undoing of the CC laws.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:53:30 PM by AmmoToad »
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline T-Wayne

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »
+1 Chief

I go out of my way to make sure my gun is concealed and doesn't print; but on rare occasions (depending on what I'm carrying and what I'm wearing), the handle peeks out to get a glimpse the world around it.  I'd hate to loose my CCW permit - or worse - for that infraction.

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »
I did NOT know in Florida that if part of your Weapon was exposed you could lose your CCW, I spoke-Wrote before I knew this about Florida, I take back what I wrote,  Florida Gun People (Give em HELL). ;D

Offline T-Wayne

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
Ratzo,  I have difficulty reading through and understanding all of the Florida statutes; but when I moved to Florida and took my umteenth firearms course, my instructor told us that if our gun shows even momentarily and it frightens a citizen, it could be interpreted as a "careless," and therefore improper, exhibition.  And here in sunny FL, that is a misdemeanor.

Here's the statute (the emphasis is my own):
790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:56:02 PM by T-Wayne »

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
I do not think that momentary, accidental showing would result in punishment.  For example, if I were to reach back to my wallet and my shirt lifted momentarily exposing the grips, the law would be hard pressed to prosecute.  I believe the statute to exist for those who brandish or “show-off” having a weapon.  That being said, there is always the clown who sees the weapon and makes an issue of it.  Best to be very careful.  In general, I think Florida has some friendly gun laws.  I think I’ll stay here.     :)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »

Agreed, Toad; this would be an ancillary issue of a bigger problem.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
Sounds like a winner, Toad.  I don't know too much about Florida law, but understand the reality of living where you want; do enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline T-Wayne

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »
I do not think that momentary, accidental showing would result in punishment.  For example, if I were to reach back to my wallet and my shirt lifted momentarily exposing the grips, the law would be hard pressed to prosecute.  I believe the statute to exist for those who brandish or “show-off” having a weapon.

Well said, Toad.  And Florida is a gun friendly state (one reason I like it here).  But there are counties in Florida run by Obamacrats.  Need I say more? :)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:19 AM »
 Much of the results of Exposing here in Florida is left to the Discression of the Local law enforcement people. They could call it "Brandishing" and it moves into felony territory, theycould arrest you and then drop the charges after investigating (Big pain). Firearms laws are tricky and subject to much interpretation. Massaad Ayoob has a lot of thoughts on this subject.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"