Author Topic: OPERATION HELP SAVE DOZER  (Read 10463 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
OPERATION HELP SAVE DOZER
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
Most of you will have seen the thread on the severe illness of Dozer, the English Bulldog of our fellow member Adam Hamm ("thor447") in Oklahoma City:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6108.0

The post to that thread by "BlueC2" started me thinking about the spirit of fraternity created by this Forum that Duane ("DDGator") has provided for us. And the entire thread brought to mind a "best friend" I once had (a Vizsla named "Gypsy") and the extraordinary expense it once took to save her.

With those things in mind, I communicated directly with Adam about his effort to save Dozer and was informed that his veterinary bills have already reached $3,800 and that he is selling off some of his vintage Colts to help defray the costs. I then asked him if he would object if we established a "Dozer Fund" through the Forum to help save this pup that had in some ways appeared to have become sort of an unofficial mascot for a Forum dedicated to the pistol some of us affectionately call the "Pup."  This was Adam's response:

"I am humbled at your suggestion.  I have placed a few of my old Colts up for sale to help offset the veterinarian costs that I have incurred so far.  To speak bluntly, so far my total costs is just at 3800.00.  I hate to part with my guns, but I am reminded that they are only guns and there will be a time when I can acquire them again.  I am again honored that you would think of such a wonderful thing.  My first reaction is to decline contributions, for the simple reason that I am not accustomed to such acts of generosity.  However, the reality of the situation that it is expensive, and any help I can get would certainly be appreciated.  I do not really know how such an operation would be handled, but if you can think of a way that it could be organized, I'm surely grateful.

"As of right now, I have spoken with the veterinarian and as of yet, they have not been able to slow down the abscess growth, but they have got his fever down from 107 back to 101 (which I am told is in the normal range for a dog).  We are waiting on some more blood work tests to come back and he is going to have a few other tests done tomorrow to see if they can find the root cause of the infection in his body."

In answer to my inquiry, Adam has told me he has a PayPal account linked to the following e-mail address:   

adamhamm1@gmail.com

And so, with Duane's approval, this post is to kick off "OPERATION HELP SAVE DOZER." I am making an initial donation in memory of my own now departed "Gypsy." Any of you who would like to help Adam save Dozer can send a contribution by PayPal.  For those who would prefer another method of contributing, please contact Adam directly by E-mail or Forum PM.

As General Patton might have said, "A dog this good needs to be saved."

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
Re: OPERATION HELP SAVE DOZER
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
Truly speechless.  There aren't words.... All I can say is thank you so incredibly much.

Adam
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
Adam,
  Best of luck, a little something sent by paypal.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
Excellent idea, RS.  Hope everyone who can, will help Adam out here.

Adam.  Donation made to Dozer's Fund by PayPal.  Hope he has improved greatly today.   
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
Adam, it's an honor to help a great dog (and a pretty good guy too).  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
Thank you guys so much.  I'll have a Dozer update for you all here in a little bit.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »
The doctor has got Dozer stabilized and has his fever down to 101 from 107.  They have taken a biopsy and have sent it in so they can find out what they are dealing with.  He is well enough at the moment to come home for the next day or two until the biopsy results come back.  I just have to keep an eye on him and make sure his fever doesn't come back, etc...  He gave me a few things to look for throughout the day.  Here's a pic, 5 minutes after I got him home.  He just collapsed.

- George Washington

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
Adam:

This is good news!  Dozer is obviously a fighter and a "class act" -- much like those pistols that brought this Forum into being, and like those who truly appreciate those pistols.

Please keep us informed. And GO DOZER!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:36:46 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
Glad Dozer is home, Adam, and the fever is down.  We're all rooting for his full recovery.  Thanks for the update.  Keep fighting, Dozer!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »
That sounds encouraging. Remi and I are hoping for the best for Bull Dozer...  We made a contribution.  Not much in light of what you are facing, but perhaps in numbers we can help make a difference for one man's best friend.

I didn't write this but I agree with it -- A dog is the only thing on Earth that loves you more than it loves itself.  They deserve to be rewarded for that.

Here is a photo of my Fox Terrier mix that I "posterized."  I am waiting for the enlarged print to arrive.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
That's fantastic Gator!!!  I've been wanting to do something with this one, I took it the day I picked up him from the breeder, on our way home.

- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:42 AM »
Adam glad Dozer is back home, it's much more comfortable for him to be with family in a familiar setting.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
Adam, many prayers coming Dozer's way.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
That's fantastic Gator!!!  I've been wanting to do something with this one, I took it the day I picked up him from the breeder, on our way home.

Adam:

Here's a start:   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »
haha. thanks man!
- George Washington