Author Topic: Doomsday Prophets Debunked  (Read 2072 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Doomsday Prophets Debunked
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »
I ran across this info today and found it quite amusing:

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without an extra day every 4 years, today would be August 4th, 2013.

Secondly, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years, so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago....

I guess we can all get on with our lives now!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Doomsday Prophets Debunked
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
I ran across this info today and found it quite amusing:

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without an extra day every 4 years, today would be August 4th, 2013.

Secondly, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years, so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago....

I guess we can all get on with our lives now!

What a relief!  ;D

A few years ago while decompressing between SCUBA dives off Cozumel, I tried to hedge my bets at La Tumba del Caracol, but no spirits responded to my summons:   ;)

Seriously, though, the Mayans had an amazing civilization. It is said that they used La Tumba del Caracol to warn them of approaching hurricanes. Strong winds preceding a hurricane create a loud whistle effect when passing through the structure -- rather like the emergency warning sirens in our cities today.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Doomsday Prophets Debunked
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
Neat photo, there, RS.  Structure is interesting, for sure!  Amazing what those old civilizations did, and we continue to learn from them, even today.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln