Author Topic: Pup off to be groomed  (Read 39970 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
Re: Pup off to be groomed
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »
I called my custom gun shop today to get pricing on putting checkering on the backstrap and front of the grip and he qouted me 100.00-150.00 and will give me an exact number when a bring it in and sees exactly what I want.

Yankee,
I am looking forward to seeing your pictures of "Best of Show"
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 07:58:22 AM »
This P220 is my flavor and shoots like a dream and as a ccw I feel at peace with the world and all is well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133691403

That is one good looking pistol.   :)    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:43 AM »
Back to the original concern: Consider Brownell's friction tape as a replacement for the expensive stipling. I saw an article in a 2008 Gun Digest that shows this stuff being used on a compact 1911.

As to photographs from several of you, I thank you. The one that Richard posted (sans picitinny rail) is compelling, albeit expensive. The stainless gun, with beautiful wood grips, is great except it has the picitinny rail and I would avoid it for that reason.

There is no right or wrong answer here. However, if only for aesthetic reasons, I stand by my opposition to picitinny rails.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
Back to the original concern: Consider Brownell's friction tape as a replacement for the expensive stipling. I saw an article in a 2008 Gun Digest that shows this stuff being used on a compact 1911.

As to photographs from several of you, I thank you. The one that Richard posted (sans picitinny rail) is compelling, albeit expensive. The stainless gun, with beautiful wood grips, is great except it has the picitinny rail and I would avoid it for that reason.

There is no right or wrong answer here. However, if only for aesthetic reasons, I stand by my opposition to picitinny rails.

Yep!  I continue to agree.  The pistol looks great, but would rather it didn't have the rail.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:09:51 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
I don't think you can get the full stainless frame and slide and the DA/SA without the rail.  I used to love the rail but decided to use a more powerful flashlight in the weak hand rather than attached to my gun.  I've always view the accessories as the most ugly thing you could do to a beautiful gun.  The rail itself I can take it or leave it, I don't use it.  I think the little added weight helps the recoil but I may be crazy....this is one of the reasons I like stainless and the weight it adds.  I got the little brother to the P220 in the stainless elite as well, the P226, and again this thing shoots like a dream.

I wish there would be a stainless  R9, while some would gripe about the weight, for me it would be welcome, among other advantages.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:45:03 PM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »
I agree on the rail issue also, but if someone wants to give me one I can get past the rail issue ;D (it is a fine looking gun)
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 01:19:14 PM »
I am an advocate of grip tape but I prefer 3M tape available
from almost any Ace Hardware store. The "Insta Grip" tape
from Brownells is $19.25 for a 1" x 12" piece. It looks the same
to me as the  3M tape but but at 8 to 10 times the price.

The 3M tape is all over my R9 and I wouldn't leave home
without it. It is easily softened with a piece of sandpaper.

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
I would like to see a picture of this tape on your gun.  Does it need occasionaly replacement?
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »
Fat Boy

Your comments are reasonable and you appear to agree as to my statement regarding picitinny rail. Your stainless gun (particularly with wood grips) is stunning but I do not like the rail.

Richard's post from gunbroker showed a reasonably priced (used) P220, without picitinny rail, but it was a 9MM. Though rare, I want the .45ACP.

As to tracker's comments, I have no experience with Brownell's or 3M but the cost benefit over Robar stippling is extraordinary.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »
ACP,
If your really looking for a 45 cal with no rail then look no more.  If this was stainless I would own it and have considered buying one anyway just because of what it is and the good price.  Look at the P245, new in case.....I don't know how you get any better than this.  If I hadn't just bought the Stealth R9, one of these would be in transit to me now.  Other than my P220 (which I love) this would be the ultimate full size but tight ccw.  I have almost convinced myself to go buy this now, DANG, DANG, DANG!

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:08:50 PM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
ACP,
If you like this gun and want the wood grips I know where to point you to some custom ones that are out of this world.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Fat Boy

Thank you for your recommendations. I am familiar with the P245 but do not like the gun. To me, it is unimaginative and looks like the engineering department got out a tape measure and decided to use the dremel approach for "redesign" of the P220.

Sigs, (in my opinion), are great guns but are bulky. The P232 (.380) is size efficient but I am not a fan of the caliber and don't like that design either.

You will never get an argument from me as to Sig not being great guns. I only wish they would come up with a good compact design in a potent caliber.

Meantime, I will stay with my R9 until the R45 comes out. You know, THE GUN WE ALL WANT.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »
We need it.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
Absolutely, tracker. Any progress from you insiders?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Still looking forward to information as well.