Author Topic: First time firing and...nothing!  (Read 11860 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: First time firing and...nothing!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 07:04:04 PM »
Brenden,
Thanks, I agree that we hope to never have to use this little
creation in anger or defense. The good thing about it is that
we can have fun while training for an undesirable ultimate use.

As some wise old bird said, "The definition of a superior pilot
is one who never puts himself in a position where he has to
use his superior skills". The same might be said of us shooters.

Offline Woo_Woo

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 01:11:02 AM »
I'm happy to see the mood on this post has lightened.   :)  I remembered seeing something about FTF on the last round in a clip on other posts, but I do not recall specifics.  I assumed it meant failure to feed.  As I recall, when I fired my R9s, it was so cold that I could only stand to load a couple of rounds at a time.  After trying the first two rounds, there was no dent on the primer and I actually put them back to try later, but it was bothering me too bad, so I took them back out and it was then that it fired (same bullets that didn't fire before).  The first round fired fine, but it was the second (last in the clip) that would not fire.  I have only fired a few rounds through it and wanted to go this weekend but won't get the chance.  I hope it was a combination of break-in and temperature (no carry gun will ever get that cold in your pocket).  I hope to go shooting when I return home for Christmas.  I'll let you all know what I find.  Thanks for the help, everyone.  

Offline rtohio

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »
This is an interesting post. I too have had some failures to fire and attributed them to not resetting the trigger fully. But I do have a tendency to pull the trigger very slowly since I am also interested in accuracy potential. When people say that you would never do that in an emergency situation, I disagree. Not every threatening situation will be at 5 yards. There may be, heaven forbid, a situation which calls for a superbly placed shot at 15 yards requiring careful aim with whatever pistol you happen to have with you. A defensive pistol must fire every time and convince me that it will until I totally rely on it. I am going to check to see if I can recreate the condition by purposedly slow firing and then purposedly not resetting the trigger to see which is the likely culprit. Will repost.
RTOhio

Offline stash247

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 11:50:18 AM »
Brand new to this board, so excuse me if I step on a couple of toes.  
  Simple engineering supports the fact that the hammer spring stores the same amount of energy, redardless of the rate of trigger pull, excepting only rearward inertia of the hammer, which has minimal mass.
 Ohio, unlike Texas, gets COLD in the winter; cold enough to stiffen grease, and other lubricants, as might be found in the firing pin bore, or on the firing pin spring.
  Another possibility, and a more likely one, is headspace/ case dimension.
  I'm very interested in this pistol, so accurate resolution of this issue is also of great interest.  Is there any chance the Brass still exists, identifiably, for measure???

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 01:25:24 PM »
Almost every issue anyone's had has been resolved, I believe the concensus on the couple cases that weren't were most likely due to the shooter's hands not fitting the gun.  I've never had a problem -- everytime I've pulled the trigger, it's gone bang -- with that said, my main suspiscion on these cases would be improper lubrication/cleaning --IMO, and having taken apart the trigger mechanism a couple times -- the only way cold would affect the firing of the gun would be ammo defects (I've noticed I have more FTFs and squibs from all guns if it's below freezing)  and if you're using a lubricant that isn't rated for the temperature around the firing pin -- personally, I only let the tiniest bit of Mobil 1 0-30? near the pin to wick in, before I wipe it away -- or sometimes some break-free -- either way, I don't let much in -- the grease isn't anywhere near the firing pin -- and it worked wonderfully for me the couple times I shot it in PA during the winter.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 03:25:12 PM »
stash247,
Welcome to the forum!!

Lots of info here!! http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

I know that I have not had a bit of problem with the pups that I have shot to date.. :) Cold or warm weather..

Thanks again for joining us!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »
Stash - welcome from me also :)

Agreed re hammer energy - same spring so has to be!  My only small rider to that is - there is IMO potential for an ultra rapid trigger pull to accelerate the hammer so fast to rear that on release it has actually travelled back a minute amount further thus compressing the mainspring a tad more - and so has imparted to it a small extra acceleration.  Unlikely but I could see that as a possibility.  Semantics too probably!  ;)

I am certainly in the camp that places some possible blame on occasions toward lube.  In my case altho I acknowledge that low temps can have an effect on grease - am more concerned over grease ''pollution'' - as I had a period of seeming problems with my SIG 226 - which turned out to be due to serious grease crud collection and significant stiffening effect.

Bottom line with the pup is - maintain recommended cleaning intervals.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Woo_Woo

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 11:35:23 PM »
Sorry it has taken so long to repost.  I haven't had too many chances to shoot lately, but last weekend I did manage to get out.  Out here in Colorado it gets pretty cold.  I saw the reference to Texas and wasn't sure if that was directed at me or not.  

Here is the update (and background)...In response to the lube comments...I was shooting the first box of ammo through the brand new pistol...so it wasn't anything I did.  I have continued to use the same ammo just to see how it worked out (I have no other 9mm anyway).  I had a couple failures to fire, but continued to pull the trigger.  At most it took three pulls (maybe 4) before it fired.  The first time it did not fire was right after I pulled the trigger slowly.  It was followed up by quick pulling and eventually it fired.  Another shot was after a quick pull.  Basically, it is not 100% consistent.  

Once I get my hands on some gold dot I will let you know how things go.  In closing, I found that while it does not always fire on the first trigger pull, follow-up pulls still work.  Of the two or three rounds that did not fire on the first pull, all of them fired after subsequent pulls.  

On a side note...this thing is still in the breaking in stage...has first 50 shots through it and now requires a cleaning/lubing.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 11:54:05 PM »
Keep us up to speed woo_woo - and hope things improve but - thus far I am considering the apparent light strikes as possibly a problem.

Either rounds are not settling fully into battery or, firing pin is short - something is affecting this somehow.  Should not occur IMO even on a new gun.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »
Woo_Woo -
First of all "ICK..; is the first thing that comes to mind...!"  
Then I'll say I'm not clear as to  why some folks find it necessary to give you a hard time about pulling the trigger slowly; it's not the wrong thing to do; it's a quite common thing to do, (IMHO..!)  when things are right. (This DOES include high quality ammo by the way...)  I've personally NEVER had a misfire w/ a combination of a properly operating handgun, and "Silvertips".  "It should fire despite that technique!"
It's a simple fact "Small handguns w/ short barrels are difficult to fire accurately..", and MANY folks tend to take their time in THAT sort of a range training/ savoring-the-moment/ testing & practice type  scenario.  People confuse at times the difference between (Again IMHO..) primary combat type handguns, and what I consider to be more or less instinctive fire/ defensive/ last ditch/ OH C_AP..! - type handguns...  This is honestly not a reflection on the quality, etc.. of these fine pistols, and really really not meant to get peoples "Dander" up..!  Simply put "That is my take on it; I expect that High Quality handguns should do what we expect them to do; function always..!  Our lives or those of our loved ones, may one day depend on it..!  

Everyone - PLEASE believe me; this is NOT a "Battle Cry"; I like it here very much, and don't EVER want to get into it with ANY of you in a "Negative" way... Ever!

(erh)
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »
erh,

Welcome to the forum.  Please come back often.

Yes, I agree with you.  A pistol should always fire, regardless of how fast the trigger is pulled.

The good news is the factory will gladly correct any defects.  Most of us have zero problems.

On very rare occasion, a shooter will not be compatible with the R9S, but that can happen with any small pistol.

For example, I think there have been a couple of occasions where multiple shooters at the factory found the gun to work perfectly, but the owner continued to have problems with the returned firearm.  

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »
woo-woo, welcome to the forum. Your posts are fine and the info is important. Let us know how Gold Dots work when you get them. Also take it slow during the cleaning process and notice everything.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 10:58:34 PM »
erh - nice to have you on the forum.  We don't always agree here - but we always respect each other.  Post often.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 11:07:15 PM »
Well said, Dave.

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 12:10:48 AM »
Just wanted to say "Thank you" to all the pleasant & understanding comments made in my direction; I will return often - Already feel right at home..!

Respectfully,

(erh)
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.