Author Topic: +p anyone?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
+p anyone?
« on: December 12, 2004, 02:24:04 AM »
Ok, I have had my R9s for several months and have fired +700 rounds (115 gr., 124 gr gd and some 115 pmc ) through with still ZERO malfunctions.I am totally confident in my particular gun, and have more or less quit shooting it , but carry it EVERYWHERE. Since I have finished shooting it, and am concentrating back on my range guns, and other carry guns, I havent been on board lately but I miss all the good people here. So hello everyone, hope you are all doing well!
Lately I have been considering replacing my current 124 gr gd with  +p variety. I am considering this since I can't imagine gun would have problem with just a few, and i do not intend to shoot anymore than a handful, just to see how the recoil will feel. I know there are probably good arguments not to carry +p for defense, but I am thinking I might as well go for maximum power for carry in this gun.  I know it will be less controllable, and I know manual advises not to use +p, hence my question..... does anyone else carry +p  in their R9 for defense (rather than using for practice)?  Anyone have any strong feeling that I shouldnt do so? I regularly practice with S&W 340 using 145 gr. .357 W-W Silvertips so recoil doesnt bother me too much anymore. I dont intend on shooting any more than a few magazines full to get the feel of it, and maybe that is the best reason not to use it (I usually  shoot my carry ammo a lot), but I feel that since I have utter faith in gun with gd ammo, reliability shouldnt be affected my going to +p gold dot. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 02:27:58 AM by jimacp »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
+p anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 06:49:15 AM »
>>Wow...  700 rounds without a hic up.  Hmmmmm.  It would be a shame to ruin that record if the +P did mess up that gun...!  I'll tell you what...how bout we swap R9s and then you can test out your theories...?  Actually...NOT...!!...I love my gun.  But given the manual says not to use +P I do feel pretty strongly not to use it = be nice to your gun.  Why chance it?  Personally I'm fairly confident I could take out a bad guy with 7 rounds of .9mm HP.  If I want bigger holes then I pull out a .45.  But that's just me.  Good luck with your decision...!...TW<<  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: +p anyone?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 06:17:35 PM »
Jim .... NO!!!  I really would heed the std pressure recommendation.  The gun is already quite highly stressed ... instance such things as extra freebore, keeping wieght down and so compromize re materials strength etc.

I have no doubt the gun would digest a lot of +P ... I did accidentally fire off a couple when I did first ammo test - not realizing I'd got +P's in a bulk lot of Gold Dot's.  You can feel the difference and ... not so sure the slide would beat hell outa the frame - or even harm the pin - despite that being now upgraded.

I had I confess thought - ''practice std ... carry +P'' ... but decided now ... in fairness to the gun and its pedigree.... stick to std.  I think if push comes to shove - close up and personal ... you will be well able to defend yourself.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
+P Funk...Was:..Re: +p anyone?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 09:43:27 PM »
I'm in a Pfunk over this ammo issue. Now I am aware of the problem with hollow points filling up with denim and stuff before they get to do their hollowing thing. So the 'solution' is Expanding Full Metal Jackets, which seem to overcome the issue. However, NONE that I can find are non +P and therefore shouldn't be used on our R9's.

What say all those whom are brainier than moi? Have we already discussed this issue and am I in the dark about it?
Why are we all high on GDHP, when all they'll do is clog up?

TIA!

Cal
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 09:50:53 PM »
CC ... to be honest, tho there are an extra few fps in the +P rounds ... if we are gonna get ''denim clog'' - I think it'll occur anyways.  Always a possibility.

I think we need to see monstrously higher velocities before an HP clog up will be obviated and even then ... not so sure it's solve the prob.

I guess you have PwrBall in mind ... which does seem a good design to obviate the problem.  I wonder if any frangibles will cut it?
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 11:14:44 AM »
RBCD is standard pressure, and the only exotic ammo I have used.  Given its uniform density, it is more accurate than Magsafe or Glaser, and less expensive than either, although still more expensive than JHP.

I'd worry a lot more about the continued functionality of the gun than the few extra FS of +P.  Take care of the gun so that you know it will go bang when you need it to.

I don't yet own an R9 so I have no idea how will it will function in one.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 11:15:27 AM by BillinPittsburgh »
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »
OK, I bit the bullet, as it were, and broke down and ordered, skeptically, I might add, a box of twenty each of 9mm 60 grain and .45ACP in 115 grain from RBCD. To say it's pricey is an understatement, at $33.99 box (either caliber)!

The lady at the company told me there is MORE than enough pressure for the each of my guns (my other is a Kimber Ultra CDP, just purchased this weekend-SWEET!).

It should get here this week, I'll take it to the range, shoot one bullet each;^) and report back. It won't be scientific, but at least we'll know if it works in our guns!

Be cool!

Calvin
"Life's Too Short To Carry A Crummy Gun"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 02:34:54 PM »
MORE than enough pressure

Not sure how to read that???  Does not as it stands actually relate the rounds to whether std pressure or - something ''hotter''!  Be nice to know ... oh my tho .. spendy!!!! :o
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 08:08:36 PM »
Yeh, it's 'spendy' all right!! If anything, it sounds like a 'cooler' round, that likes to "get on up and get away", to quote an old soul band from the 60's.

The lady said that the inventor of the round wanted to make a bullet to work in ANY gun, without tricks. And she said there is plenty of motion to rack the slide between rounds.

$5 bucks goes to the first person who knows who the band that sang that tune was and who wrote it. I'm showing my age here...

+P Diddy

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 08:33:22 PM »
Esquires!!  I think.  ''Good Luck Charm'' was the one I seem to recall best.  Song writer?  Not a clue.

Now lookee here CC - you just might be as old as me! ;D :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 10:54:04 PM »
Chris:

Was it Wally Gold?

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 11:59:40 PM »
Richard .....  :-/ . ... I claim the 5th! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Denim clog - to P or +P?
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 02:23:32 AM »
According to various FBI and private tests with ammo in many calibers and weights the effect of clothing, especially heavy clothing, generally has similar results. As compared to ballistic gelatin, HP rounds that first encounter clothing have approximately 10% - 20% less expansion, which translates to about 1/10", and penetrate 10% - 20% deeper, or roughly 1" -3" more. This effect was remarkably consistent in calibers from 9mm to 10mm.

Today's 9mm HP ammo is very, very efficient and effective. This has been shown not only in these various tests but in hundreds of actual shootings. IMHO the worry over an extra mm of expansion is not worth the effort. Ideal expansion is only going to happen under ideal conditions - the round encountering a thin shirt, skin and vital organs only - no buttons, pens, bones, etc. An actual shooting involves so many variables that it is nearly impossible to predict what any given shot will do - we will do our best according to circumstances and training and the knowledge that 'good' will prevail (I hope and pray!).
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor