Author Topic: +p ammo in R9S  (Read 2068 times)

Offline derekcole

+p ammo in R9S
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:47:52 PM »
recently picked up an R9S on gunbroker.com.  amazing quality and perfect dimensions. could not be more happy with this weapon.  the seller told me that he has one that he loads with +p ammo for self defense.  i was wondering if anyone else has shot there's with +p ammo.  will it cause problems? i understand the manual says not to, but i would like the extra muzzle energy if the gun could take it.  the ammo i intend to carry is winchester ranger talon bonded 9mm +p 124 grain.
let me know your thoughts on this.....

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: +p ammo in R9S
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:20:39 PM »
Derek

First Derek - welcome to the forum and visit often!

Second - never use +P in the R9.  The gun is not made for it.  It tells you so in the literature and on the mag.

Many use Golddots 115 or 124 - they will serve you well.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 01:35:08 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline konrad

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:52:58 PM »
i think +p is asking a lot from this short bbl. After seeing what Federal Nyclad can do to a deer flank, I am confident with that load. I think its discontinued, but you know, even ball ammo isnt so bad, one hole in one hole out... a 2 for 1. Std gold dots are great and the +p dont really offer much more of a boost.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 02:09:14 AM »
recently picked up an R9S on gunbroker.com.  amazing quality and perfect dimensions. could not be more happy with this weapon.  the seller told me that he has one that he loads with +p ammo for self defense.  i was wondering if anyone else has shot there's with +p ammo.  will it cause problems? i understand the manual says not to, but i would like the extra muzzle energy if the gun could take it.  the ammo i intend to carry is winchester ranger talon bonded 9mm +p 124 grain.
let me know your thoughts on this.....

Welcome to our forum..

Manual says NO for a reason..

Please read the FAQ

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

Treat the pup with the care it needs and it will take care of you!! :)

Welcome again,

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 09:36:05 AM »
Derek:

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your R9s.

My advice -- do not, repeat NOT, run +P ammo through the "pup."  With its small size and weight, it has pushed the envelope for 9mm anyway.  

Good luck.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 12:13:58 PM »
derek,

Welcome to the forum.  Please come back often.

I hope you enjoy your new R9.

Sorry, no +P ammo.

Bill