Author Topic: *** Update on R9S problem  (Read 7474 times)

Offline Larry

Re: *** Update on R9S problem
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 12:01:55 PM »
Hi Folks:  Though this was a good place to update on my new R9's problems. (see my "Maiden Voyage with ne R9" post in New Guy Here).  When I was about to disassemble and clean, I noticed the dreaded CRACKED FRAME!  It is a hairline on right rear from 1st serration around back(thru frame)to top of thinnest part of frame rail.  I am shipping to factory as per Maria.  
Wheras, this is upsetting, I am grateful to the Forum members, such as TT, who have enlightened me on these issues.  I will keep a positive outlook, as others ultimately have had a positive outcome.  Had it not been for this forum, I may have been very put off by this gun.  I have have a Glock, and have had a Sig, as well as good wheelguns and never had significant problems. I really would like to have utter confidence in the R9 as I do with my G27.  I do own a KT P32, but that is another story.  Larry

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
Larry,

Thanks for the update.

These things happen.  I know that all brands have had some pretty bad defects.  My brand new Beretta 92FS Inox, on the very first outing, had jams all over the place.  I never got through a single magazine.  There was a burr on the extractor.l

I'm sure the factory will test it very well, and hope you are off to a perfect start when it comes back.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 12:23:09 PM by Michigunner »

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 03:08:07 PM »
Hi Folks:  Though this was a good place to update on my new R9's problems. (see my "Maiden Voyage with ne R9" post in New Guy Here).  When I was about to disassemble and clean, I noticed the dreaded CRACKED FRAME!  It is a hairline on right rear from 1st serration around back(thru frame)to top of thinnest part of frame rail.     Larry
Is it a cracked frame or is it the slide?
I haven't heard of any cracked frames up to this point.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »
Yes Larry - are you describing the slide? - sorta sounds like it.

The few slides that had a crack develop were in the area from first groove to the rear - it is pretty thin there, tho I have always thought very low regarding stress.  So for a crack to occur it does suggest one of the few metallurgically compromized slides went out.

It seemed that there were a few billets of stainless that were some time ago not quite up to spec' but of course once machined there was no way to easily identify one from another - so am thinking perhaps one of these crept thru.  Impossible to pick up even with the high QC they apply.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 07:48:27 PM »
Larry said it best: "I really would like to have confidence
in the R9 like I do my Glock 27". Recognizing that the
Glock is a different animal and mass produced, I would
guess that it is intrinsically more reliable than the R9.
I would like to hear that zero defects is aggressively
being pursued rather than to see new grips, finishes,
and price increases. After all, which is the most important
consideration in a CCW?

BTW, I have had minimal problems with mine. It just
seems that 2, 3, or 4 percent failure rate or whatever
it is should have the highest priority; Sales will follow.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55:50 PM »
I agree, tracker.

Nothing is more important than 100% reliability.

My R9 is at 62 rounds total, and so far it has always functioned perfectly.   My goal is to reach about 200 rounds and then mostly keep it clean and oiled for emergency use.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:08:28 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Larry

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »
Hey All: I meant crack in SLIDE.  I am more calm and collected now.  It will be in the Brother's arms tomorrow.  Thanks for all the feedback.   Larry

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 09:31:06 PM »
Larry - so sorry to hear you are one of the few slide cracks.  I know it doesn't make you feel any better.

What is your approximate SS# -- example R135# - Is it one of the recent made guns.

Since I have two R9s I figure I am covered if one has to go back - which I hope doesn't occur - but if it does it does.

Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Larry

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 09:59:38 PM »
My R9s is a black frame Deer Park #124X.  It is my understanding that this does not tie it to a particular production date.  I do hope the factory chooses one from the kryptonite billets.  Larry

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 08:06:34 PM »
It is good to see you were taken care of.

Offline Larry

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 08:19:11 PM »
Hello Arizona.  Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the reply. I have been a member almost a yr, but was inactive at times because I only just obtained my R9.  Do you have one yet, or deliberating/educating?  Larry

Offline Larry

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »
Arizona: Just read your previous posts. So I answered my own question.  Keep contributing to the collective knowledge, as I will do also.  Larry

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »
I have two ordered and waiting for them to be shipped from the factory.  I have been researching the best defensive ammo to shoot and will be posting my experience with it.

Offline Larry

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 09:21:03 PM »
Arizona: Best of luck with the litter of pups when you get them. At least one and probably both will run well for you.  
Meanwhile Forum Folks, as I informed you, the new pup w/cracked slide went back to the factory on Tuesday the 2nd. (at their expense). I got it back today!   It is my same frame of course, with new slide. I cannot tell if there is new barrel or other parts.  It all looks brand new, clean and lubed.  I never got to disassemble and clean after the range.  Did not want to mess with it at all after I saw the tiny fissure.  The invoice just says Warrenty Repair $0.00.  I cannot wait to try it again this wk.end.
The customer service is nothing short of outstanding!  If only other important things would go like that. Absolutely elegant.  I feel as though I am in partnership with the factory on fixing problems.  I phoned Maria today and only was able to leave a thank you message.  I will call or write them later, but will wait to see how things go at the range.  I will report that here of course.    Larry

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »
Larry - amazing turn around!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."