Author Topic: Why I wont Buy. No more CF Grips :(  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Archiver

Why I wont Buy. No more CF Grips :(
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:10 PM »
Darn it all!
          Months ago  I had considered the R9 as a carry pistol. However, I was scared off by the reliability problems discussed on the board. I figured I'd wait till more of the "bugs" were worked out.  Plus  I actually hadnt even SEEN one in person and felt it necessary before spending so much $. Calling PA dealers was useless :(  

I left messages at this "dealer" listed on Rohrbaugh's list about half a dozen times and they never even called back
The Handgunner Custom Gunshop
17 West Weis Street
Topton, Pennsylvania 19562
610-682-6714

I finally saw the R9 at a gun show and fell in love with the feel, size and seeming quality but was TOTALLY turned OFF by the finish!  (I know now it was the stealth model thanks to you guys.)  
    Along with its compact size the appeal to me was that original design was INCREDIBLY handsome and looked very "up-scale"...like a Beretta Billenium.

My question is why change a great looking design?!?!?   The silver on silver with Carbon fiber was incredible looking!! The G10 grips aesthetically looks no better than a KelTec!    To stop using CF  on a gun thats already $1000 is riduculous.  I could possibly understand  not using CF due to a  supply issue. But if you've got the $ for this gun whats an extra $100? (what CarbonFiber Creations charges for their 1911 and Beretta92 grips and THEY still make 'em!)

I'm SO disappointed that now that I decided to buy one I cant get what I want :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:25:41 PM by Archiver »

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Why I wont Buy. No more CF Grips :(
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »
Relax Archiver!!!!!

I plan on putting the black CF's from my regular R9 up for sale on this board soon.  I have the stealth and I prefer that grip material for the R9.  I am going to place an order at Rohrbaugh for a bunch of stuff including a set of G10's in the near future.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »
Archiver,

Welcome..

The CFs are nice,I have both blue and black..

Also have the G10,have not used them though..

CFs are spendy-last I knew,Rohrbaugh may still have some black sets..More than 100.00 though,so please be forewarned.. ;)

Good looking for your pup-you will find one that you want before you know it!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:23:51 PM »
Archiver, My understanding is that it is a supply issue. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »
Also, good, barely used R9s with carbon fiber grips appear
for sale once in awhile if one can be patient.

Offline Big_Kahuna

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
Spoke with Maria in front office yesterday regarding other questions about the R9 and R45. I also asked her about the CF grips since I would like a set myself  (not crazy about the G-10s). She said it was a supply and cost issue. Because a large buyer (goverment I believe) is in need of so much, prices have been diven up by almost 300%. She did say it was their intentions to buy up sheets of CF as soon as practical but that the grips would then be offered not as standard equipment but as an aftermarket purchase and they will be expensive. As Brenden said, look for them to be over the $100. range. I guess only time will tell.
It may be called a "mouse gun", but because it is easy to carry in a very wide range of circumstancs, the deep concealment pistol fufills the first rule of gunfighting (ie: bring a gun).

Offline Archiver

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 12:29:30 AM »
Thats great news!  Its refreshing that you can call a company and actually talk to someone and give imput ...and they apparently LISTEN:D  
 (When I deal with a large subsidary company like Beretta USA I'm better off calling Italy and dealing with the Italians directly!)
    CF as an option around $100 isnt unreasonable since others charge similar prices. Oddly the CF in colors other than the black/grey is still MORE available online. Guess the military isnt interested in red of blue CF?!
      I would naturally prefer a new R9 due to the dreaded warranty concerns. Which incidentally if anyone else is calling Rohrbaugh please tell them the warranty SHOULD be transferable! THAT would really impress anyone...them standing by their product forever! as well as I'd have no fear buying used! ;D
Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 12:31:00 AM by Archiver »

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 01:20:50 AM »
I have to agree with you on the warrenty, I think it should travel with the gun.

As for the grips, I have two R9s pistols, one of each grip type.  I like the look of the CF grips but they are slippery and not as functional as the G10.  The G10 is a better choice for an R9s that's actually crried, IMO.

But each to their own.