Author Topic: , Range Report plus ranting and personal opinions  (Read 2524 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
, Range Report plus ranting and personal opinions
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
Played 'hooky' today from work for half a day, and went shooting at a friend's outdoor range, with 3 others. All were more experienced than I, and two shoot IDPA competively, so we all went through the 'qualification' sequence for IDPA (not with the R9s, keep reading), but involving quite a bit more personal invective, insulting comments, "bad words', etc. but with range and personal safety ALWAYS at the forefront. Anyway, after using multiple plastic pistols (Glocks of several numbers, calibers of 9mm, .40SW etc), and my own -- NO PLASTIC -- SIG P226 9mm), we then went to just have fun, and shoot some of the other pistols we had brought along, including my R9s (115 and 147 gr Speer Gold Dots, as always).
Other shooters were quite surprised (one comment: "holy crap -- you have a Rohrbaugh??" -- this is good for ego-feeding), but in the end, all three of us shot at std. IDPA targets/distances, doing 'head shots' only. Result: all three shooters put all six rounds of 9mm from the R9s into the head-shot target.
This R9s as reported before has been worked-on by Bob Cogan at APW, including porting and milling of the sights, which helped a great deal, shooting outside in overcast-cloudy daylight.
As usual, no problems, no FTF, no nothing -- all was perfect.
And three seperate shooters, all putting all six rounds into the target (2 of three being 3-4 inch groups, no flyers).
All reported that the felt recoil was 'snappy' but controllable, and reported that the pistol was 'louder than expected for a 9mm').
Also recoil not really any different from the standard small Glock .40 (I'm sorry, it's a compact, but I do not remember the number)
So, two things:
1) as I've said before on this group, Bob Cogan and APW are to be recommended without question for any work on Rohrbaugh firearms (and they 'did' my SIG also).
2) All three shooters agreed that 'this was the best CCW pistol they had ever seen or fired."

Now, if it were only easier to disassemble, clean and reassemble it...
But as Mick and the Rolling Stones said...
"You can't always get what you want..."

ccoorreeyy

Re: , Range Report plus ranting and personal opini
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »
It gets easy, it will, I'm sure it will.  ;)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:21:25 PM »
It does get easier, for sure!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »
It definitely get easier.  I think I struggled for 90+ minutes the first few times I cleaned it.  Now I can do it in 12-15 minutes using the RJ tool.  I could do it in less, but I want it very clean.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »
Great range report, although yours was good even a bad 1/2 day of shooting is better than any 1/2 day at work. ;D

John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:13:32 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:48 AM »
Three of us shot 12 round seach from the R9s, another later joined and the four of us gassed-up and fired off over 1000 rounds, mostly 9mm but some .40SW from the Glock compact. It was a great afternoon, learned a number of safety-related tips and insructions from those acting as range SO's...
Always be amenable to help, suggestions for inprovement,and outright safety tips and instructions. Contratry to the old saying, it appears not to be too late for at least some old dogs to learn new tricks.
Next part: dissabled and strippled/cleaned the pup after this outing (it had then had maybe 50 rounds though it). Alll in all, this was kinda tricky and sometimes painful for a new gut with not a long of hand & finger strength, which seems to counted on to do three thing, in diifferrent tesions at one... :(
Could people here relate tips, tools, tricks, etc. which could help in this (I am spolied by the SIGS). I have a good 1/6" take-down hex wrench from Wiha/Germany, and neat article from this forun about how to turn a fuse-pulling tool into a Rohrbaugh spring compression/insertion tool, but I'd certainly appeciate other advise or possible new,appropriate and hitherto-unknown obscurities.
PS: for Loctite on the grips screws: it comes in multiple colors and likely different fruit flavors now: Which should be we using?

"Sed semper ubi sububi in caput meum" (But I always wear my underpants on my head)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »
whkrog.  As to the correct loctite to be using here's a link.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1268236273;start=3#3
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
 ;)

Offline gdavis2265

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »
great report.

You know, I think dis/re-assembly is really very easy for me. Even with all the parts lubed up and slippery.

I use my left hand thumb and compress the spring about 1/2 way into the gun, then just slide the barrel under with my right hand and push until the barrell locks down in place. Give it a try, it really works.
As well, to compress the slide for pin removal and insertion, I use my left thumb through the tripper guard (inserted from the left side of the pistol) then remaining four fingers over the top of the slide. Squeeze and move the slide back with left hand until holes are aligned.
Glenn

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »
 ;Dgreat range report, sounds like the pup did a good job even in the hands of others. ;)  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline cordy

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
Has anyone use any RBCD ammo in their pistol?  Check it out if you don't know anything about it.    http://www.rbcd.net
Jimbo