Author Topic: "What difference does it make?"  (Read 4781 times)

Offline 72AV8R

"What difference does it make?"
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
Like many members of this forum I check daily, hoping for news on the fate of the company. The latest news about possible warranty work is encouraging. But I started thinking about how the outcome will affect me and my R9. The infamous line from our former Secretary of State seemed to sum it up. If Rohrbaughs are no longer made and the value doubles (or halves) will I stop carrying mine?...no. Will I sell it?...no. Ruger makes over 100,000 handguns each year. Rohrbaugh made about 6,000 in ten years and I was fortunate to buy one a few years ago. Based on the wealth of information from the folks on this forum I decided that the R9 was worth the premium price. I still think I made a wise choice.  I hope that the handful of R9s in need of repair get the necessary attention. Maria made an interesting comment when I called with a question about what lube the factory used.  She said "pull the trigger like your life depends on it!"  I guess that could be expanded to cover why we carry it. Having said all that, I will keep checking for news each day!

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: "What difference does it make?"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »
I agree. I really don't care that much about the fate of the warranty situation. If my R9 breaks, and I have no warranty, I will bring it to my trusted local gunsmith and get it fixed. ..no different than my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, which is out of warranty. For all those Rohrbaugh owners who choose to let their guns sit idle waiting for the ultimate notice…good luck to you. Me, I don't like standing still. A close friend of mine once said " The older you get, not everything has to make economical sense." He is right.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »

What you say is true, and it doesn't make sense to me to stop using your gun unless you are very concerned about being able to sell it in the future.  A working gun would be worth much more than one that has broken.

The problem with non-warranty repair is the availability of parts more than the cost.  I'm not sure that your favorite gunsmith will always be able to fix an R-9 in the future without various parts.  That potential problem does make me sad.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline 72AV8R

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
Duane makes a good point about availability of parts, but I wonder what percentage of R9s, or any model of any quality manufacturer are returned for warranty repair. I would bet that the great majority of any given model go bang right out of the box and keep on going like the energizer bunny. It would be interesting to know how many of the six thousand R9s have functioned flawlessly from day one.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »

I might be able to get you a guestimate...

I think that R-9s may be more susceptible in some respects because they are really pushing the limit of physics -- and people don't always treat them they way they should.  On the other hand, there are probably a great many safe queens that never really see much action either.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:47:32 AM »
I will be shooting Federal HST out of my R9 tomorrow, and if it cycles OK, I will switch my carry ammo from 147GR Winchester Ranger "T" Series - RA9T,  to Federal 147gr HST.

I have a Kahr CM9 and it isn't nearly as comfortable to carry as the R9.

TumDTeeSudLeaw

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:25:25 AM »
I'd love to hear more about what you're looking to do.

Offline johnny

• Master
Re:Anything new on the fate of the R9? The owners?
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »
   I just recently found out (Nov 14)  the Rohrbaugh company is no more.
       I was kind of wondering what has been going on because their web page hasn't changed for as long as I can remember.
    I have had my R9 for around 6 years. There isn't a gun the carries anywhere near as sweetly as my R9.I own a Nighthawk 45 for my pistol league, an Ed brown Kobra LW,that I carry at times,a Glock 27,which I carry mostly in the woods while bow hunting. And when I found out recently about the Rohrbaugh company, I ordered, and just received a Glock 42.it's still sitting in the box it came in.
               I feel saddened about the company and the 2 Rohrbaugh brothers,who I am sure put their heart and soul in what they were producing.
       That being said, has there been any news on the prospects for the future of this firearm? I don't see anything good coming out of Remington getting involved.
  that's all I got to say.