Author Topic: Range trip today  (Read 6895 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Range trip today
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:55:44 PM »
Too dang hot here in NE FL to shoot outside, so I went to a nearby indoor range with my R9 Covert and a Boberg XR9L Platinum.  Range ammo I took was 115 gr. Lawman.  The Boberg worked fine and was, as usual, a pleasure to shoot.  The Covert jammed the first round which I fired one handed, but I limp wristed it a bit (wrist arthritis) and the 115 gr. Ammo probably added to the problem.  After that it worked fine but if I am to continue to carry the Covert at my EDC I need to work on that first shot grip.  Accuracy at 7 and 10 yards as expected was sufficient to do the job.  I need to get some Lawman 124 since my carry ammo is 124 Gold Dot.  Both pistols are now broken down and waiting overnight for the EEZOX to dry.  LWS .32 in my pocket.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Range trip today
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:11:17 PM »
John

If you are carrying a 32 backup, you might want to try some of this ammo in your Seecamp.  I have shot both the standard velocity and the +P in my LWS32 with 100% reliability.

The performance is the best I have seen for a 32 in gel tests and barriers don't stop it either.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/32-acp-p-50-grain-xtreme-cavitator/

https://www.underwoodammo.com/32-acp-50-grain-xtreme-cavitator/

Because of the bullet shape, the .945" length is not a problem.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
I also carry the Seecamp as backup...that is one strange looking bullet!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
I also carry the Seecamp as backup...that is one strange looking bullet!

I don't like the LWS380 so I have not tried them in a Seecamp, but the standard pressure and the +P's worked fine in my P380.

I also tried the 9mm +P's in my Solo with no problems.  I am waiting on more tests before I switch.

The 32 Gold Dots, PMC's, and Silvertips are all loaded to about 775 fps and offer very little as far as self defense in my opinion

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
Thanks MRC, I just ordered 100 cavitators and 25 of the +P's in .32 to try them out.  I looked at the 9's but they did not have the extreme cavitator bullet, so will defer trying these out for now.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:58:17 AM »
Thanks MRC, I just ordered 100 cavitators and 25 of the +P's in .32 to try them out.  I looked at the 9's but they did not have the extreme cavitator bullet, so will defer trying these out for now.
John

John

Here is the 9mm to use.  It is a 90 grain bullet so it might be iffy in a Rohrbaugh.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-90-grain-xtreme-defender/

I used the +P in my Solo as they do not recommend bullets less than 124 grains, but they ran fine.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-p-90-grain-xtreme-defender-1/

They also make an Extreme Penetrator but it over penetrates in the tests I have seen.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
Real iffy in mine which does't like 115 and eats 124 and seems to do  OK with 147 (which I don't use). If you like them in the Bob erg I might try them there.  I need a slide spring for the XR9L as it is bent at the tip (works OK)...does  one arms still provide parts/service?.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »
You might be surprised with the 90 grains.  Underwood loads everything up to pressure where a lot of companies don't.

Kimber says not to shoot anything under 124 grains in the Solo and I had no troubles with the +P's.  I basically was seeing if they would work in the Solo.  I'm not really sure if they are a good thing for the 9mm.

They finally will give the 32 ACP a tiny bit of terminal effectiveness which has been completely lacking.  I chronographed the standard pressure at 998 fps and the +P's at 1060 fps out of a Seecamp.  Beats the 775 fps of the Gold Dots.

The 380 loads have me very interested as the initial tests are giving penetration and wound cavities close to 9mm.

Parts for Bobergs would have to come from Bond and they are not very responsive from what I've heard.  Can you just turn the spring around?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:08:52 PM by MRC »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
I think the springs are unidirectional.  It still functions fine, but is hard to reassemble due to the spring flexing up into the slide unless real care is taken.  I'll check on Bond to see what is available.  I have a Boberg Shorty also if needed.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis