Author Topic: Considering the Beginning…and the End  (Read 28025 times)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
Re: Considering the Beginning…and the End
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 11:35:09 PM »
About the only thing more frustrating than a malfunctioning weapon is a vehicle that won't run. What was the problem with the HP?

The trouble with the HP is the factory added the mag safety, which requires a rotating trigger lever. John Browning would have had a fit. A normal trigger is a lever direct to the sear. The HP is a lever to a slide rocker, to another lever, to the sear. Now throw in the mag safety, and it's a completely different design.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »

I had great turnaround time out of my Kimber solo recently. It is a nice pocket gun.

Also, I am not really keen on placing a 1911 style pistol in my pocket cocked and locked. Makes me feel funny. Not a good pocket gun either IMO. Anybody else have this aversion?

The 1911 is a 'Battle field' design. It's made for charging Japs in Iwo Jima. You normally carried it in Condition 3 - a live mag, but the gun wasn't cocked.

Today's striker fired pistols,  with 5 pound pulls, are an accident waiting to happen.  A good holster is a must.  A SA/DA with a thumb safety would be my first choice. My preference is a pocket pistol, and a dependable 32 trumps an 'Iffy' 9mm. The Kimber Ultra is a great 9mm, but it's holster carry only.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »

I had great turnaround time out of my Kimber solo recently. It is a nice pocket gun.

Also, I am not really keen on placing a 1911 style pistol in my pocket cocked and locked. Makes me feel funny. Not a good pocket gun either IMO. Anybody else have this aversion?

The 1911 is a 'Battle field' design. It's made for charging Japs in Iwo Jima. You normally carried it in Condition 3 - a live mag, but the gun wasn't cocked.

Today's striker fired pistols,  with 5 pound pulls, are an accident waiting to happen.  A good holster is a must.  A SA/DA with a thumb safety would be my first choice. My preference is a pocket pistol, and a dependable 32 trumps an 'Iffy' 9mm. The Kimber Ultra is a great 9mm, but it's holster carry only

And a dependable pocket 9mm, of which there are many(I personally own five), stands heads above a dependable 32.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »
And a dependable pocket 9mm, of which there are many(I personally own five), stands heads above a dependable 32.

Mr MRC -

The key word is dependable. I got an old Star-B (9mm 1911), and it's dependable. And that's all I care about. I like the Seecamp 32 because it is a dependable pocket pistol. If your R9s are dependable, a 9mm out does a 32

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »

Mr MRC -

The key word is dependable. I got an old Star-B (9mm 1911), and it's dependable. And that's all I care about. I like the Seecamp 32 because it is a dependable pocket pistol. If your R9s are dependable, a 9mm out does a 32

My Kimber Solo is 100%, my PM9 is !00%, my XR9 is 100%, my second R9 is 100%, and my Colt Pocket 9 is 100% with high quality self defense type ammo.

I am struggling now with a XR45 that has magazine problems but I and Boberg will work throught these.

I only recommend pistols I own and have shot and do not talk about ones that I have not .  You would have more credibility if you did Mr Skunk.

As for the LWS32 I own at least six and I carried one 12 or 14 years ago.  There are better choices for me at this time, but you can carry what you are comfortable with, that is your choice.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:23:03 PM by MRC »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »
WOW! Haven't been on here for a long time, didn't know all this was happening. Still have the Rohrbaugh with me every day. If you go Duane thanks for a great forum which helped me find this great pistol and learn about it. Also thanks to many great people on this site who are a great wealth of firearms knowledge such as Richard and Brenden just to name a couple early members. And thanks to the great holster maker Mr. RJ Hedley for his expert craftsmenship of which I own 3, may he rest in peace.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »

Thanks, Newt.  We just keep bumping along, seeing what happens.  No decisions have been made yet.  Waiting to see what the SHOT Show might bring...

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2014, 01:52:25 AM »
This forum has been more informative, more germane, and more important since Remington purchased Rohrbaugh Firearms then it was when the brothers were making the pistols.

If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have found someone to sell me a replacement pin.  I could go on...  This forum is super important to me.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »
Without this Forum, there would be no JoshA!...... Kind of like buying a fruitcake with no fruit in it.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »
I agree the forum has been a safety line to many members, whether to keep in touch with like minded people or to get some of the small consumables to keep the R9s running, or for hope for a bright future, and I do mean hope, for the Rohrbaugh Brother's great concept and design.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »
Time spent on this forum, which I visit at least twice daily, feels like I'm visiting family: supportive, collegial, sometimes argumentative but never mean-spirited or abusive.  May it live on with increasing vigor in the new year!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
Time spent on this forum, which I visit at least twice daily, feels like I'm visiting family: supportive, collegial, sometimes argumentative but never mean-spirited or abusive.  May it live on with increasing vigor in the new year!
John

Hear Hear!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »

I can relate John. My other family is dysfunctional too 😁.

All joking aside. Good group of guys. I've been checking out other forums since things are slow here and it's just not the same. Guys are generally pretty crass on the other popular sights. Just not a feeling of commorodery.

Thanks again for a good site guys.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)