Author Topic: At the Range, Day One  (Read 3397 times)

Offline mwbgtb

At the Range, Day One
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
I purchased my R9 at last weeks gun show here in Southwest Florida and took it to a new indoor range not to far from me today.
I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP or a new S&W "E" seies SC 1911 and once in awhile, I take the J Frame 642 in my pocket of the cargo shorts.
After shooting Buffalo Bore in the 642 before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the Rohrbaugh because I have heard mix responses from many different people.
Well, what a surprise did i get. It was a lot easier than I would have ever thought. Not nearly bad as the j Frame and close to the 3" 45acp Kimber. It was a pleasant day of shooting.
I only had two types of cartridges with me today, the Remington 115 gr FMJ and Gold Dot 124gr JHP. The Gold Dots ran just find, but the cheap Remington's had two FTF and had two that were misfires (primers?).
I have ordered 5 different mfg's and weights that will be in later in the week and I will try them out next week.
Overall, I am glad that my 15 year old soon told me to buy the R9 instead of the Kahr PM9 that I was looking at also. I have already ordered a pocket holster from Meco and the tool from Yankee2500 to help with the takedown on it.
Many thanks to the members here on the forum with their input on many different topics to help us newbe's out.
Mike

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: At the Range, Day One
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »
Mike,
   Overall sounds like a pretty good outing. Keep us updated on the next session with the new ammo.
 PS> Sometimes it pays to listen to the kids. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »
Mike.  Great advice from your 15 year old.  Thanks for your range results.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »

It was a lot easier than I would have ever thought. Not nearly bad as the j Frame and close to the 3" 45acp Kimber. It was a pleasant day of shooting.

Mike listening to your son was a very good idea!

I also have a 3" barrel Kimber and agree with your comparison - if one is comfortable with that one will be comfortable with the R9.

Others have reported similar problems with the Remington ammo in the pup and similar success with the Gold Dots which seems to run well for everyone. Mine is particularly accurate with the 115gr Gold Dot so I've never tried the 124gr ones. I have fired both 115gr WWB and 115gr Magtech as practice ammo and both run well.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
Mike

Congradulations and welcome to the forum.

I have used 115 grain GD bullets in all of my R9s. They all seem to love them. Not one problem.

Enjoy your range time! ;D

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
Mike, welcome and good range report. Smart 15 year old son.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus