Author Topic: Finaly got to the range  (Read 4425 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Finaly got to the range
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
Haven't been able to shoot since April, having moved to north Florida in May.  Now am back in TN for a few weeks, went to a friend's farm to shoot.  Did fine with the H&K USPC .40, but was very disappointed in my performance with my EDC (R9 Covert).  Shot 20 rounds of Gold Dot 124 and 20 of Federal HTC 124 with no problems even though the R9 had not been lubricated since April, which was no surprise since I use EEZOX.  I did however have problems with accuracy from 9 yards...shot low and with considerable scatter...clearly jerking the trigger and anticipating the recoil.  Did better with one hand point and rapid fire since no anticipation was involved.  At least I didn't limp wrist it.  These little gems need regular practice, at least for me, to be effective.  I'm working on finding an outdoor venue for free range shooting in Florida.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Finaly got to the range
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
I think you just described the best way to fire the R9: pull it like you mean it with a firm impulse and don't try to
aim it precisely like a target pistol. Unless you shoot a lot that can contribute to the results of anticipating the recoil.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »
Karl did not design the R9 for 27 feet away. It is a backup gun for deep concealment. It's intended use is as "a gut gun". . . . up close and personal, not across the street, although, with practice, you can do that. First, try shooting it between 3 to 7 feet and see how you do. Also, you are not taking your time at that point, draw it and shoot it deliberately with a firm grip as if you are being shot at or attacked with a knife or a deadly object. That is the practice you will need. . . . . Not slow firing at 27 feet away. You should use a different gun for that, such as for target use.  Just saying . . . .

. . . On another note, it seems the lubrication you used when you put the firearm away in April did an excellent job. Keep using that one!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:59:19 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
Thanks Eric.  I usually practice from 5 to 7 yards, but topography pretty much mandated the 9 yard distance.  The problem was not the distance, but the shooter...usually I can stay on target and absorb the recoil, but lack of practice really showed in this case.  I'll be going back this week for another session before we return to Florida.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
Ah ha. . . . . Very good then. Keep up the good work and be safe out there.  ;-)

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.