Author Topic: Anything better than blue loctite?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
Anything better than blue loctite?
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:31:36 AM »
When I installed the aluminum grips I used blue loctite.  Today I cleaned the pistol and all 4 screws were completely loose.  

There's probably only been 30 rounds through it since this was done.

Is there a better product than the blue loctite to use?  

Should I put something on the angled underside of the screw as well?

[update]
Here's an interesting posting regarding loctite and stainless/aluminum.  It appears it doesn't cure fully with these metals and needs an activator.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=148176
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:28:28 PM by sdlsaginaw »

Offline Bill_in_TX

Re: Anything better than blue loctite?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
I generally use blue loctite for a lot of things, but it's often not recommended for really small screws.  I had never seen comments along the lines of the post you referenced (although it makes a certain amount of sense).

Several 'smiths that I know, as well as a number of DIYers use clear nail polish for smaller parts and it seems to get good reports.  It has one big advantage over loctite.  Both require completely clean surfaces to reapply.  With Loctite that condition can sometimes be hard to meet whereas nail polish comes off easiliy with a little specific remover.  You do, however, have to be careful where the remover flows.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: Anything better than blue loctite?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Rohrbaugh used to specify a 222MS loctite -- I've used that for years, and never had a problem w. loose screws, or getting the screws undone...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.