Author Topic: Need COMFORTABLE belt holster.  (Read 8405 times)

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
Need COMFORTABLE belt holster.
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:54:57 PM »
i just can't fit "pocket carry" into my lifestyle.  shorts too baggy, pockets too full of other stuff, etc.  i desperately need to find a comfortable way to belt carry my r9.  i'm inclined to an  under the belt or IWB, but i've usually carried in a shoulder rig and don't know much about belt holsters.

i'm a large guy.  generally wear an excellent quality 1.5" stiff leather belt.  usually have a vest or my shirt tails hanging out.  i've looked at a lot of holster sites, and everybody seems to offer something that they swear is wonderful and discreet and comfortable -- but how'm i supposed to know?

any comments, suggestions, tips, prejudices, etc. gratefully received.  thanks.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Need COMFORTABLE belt holster.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »
I try to buy everything from Milt Sparks, but the wait is very long sometimes.  You can get them quickly from Lightning Arms Sports.

My 55BN holster should arrive any day now, after 16 weeks.  I did carry my Slg P239 9mm IWB VM-2, but found that a belt holster is far more comfortable.  My favorite is the 55BN.  The 1.5 inch belt also came from Milt Sparks.

Note that Mitch Rosen now has one called the Premier, and it has snap loops to get it on the belt easier.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/new_products/new_products.html

If you can keep your shirt out, seems to me that belt holster is the way to go.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:28:38 PM by Michigunner »

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:08:02 PM »
thanks for the info bill.  here's another question for the group:

does the r9 "mimic" any other more common pistol shape?  i.e., can i buy a holster for (hypothetically) a sig p239 (or whatever) and have the r9 fit perfectly?  i suspect i am nixing some fine holsters out there, because they don't SPECIFICALLY list the rohrbaugh.

does my r9 imitate anything else closely enough to fit?

thanks.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »
bluegun:

For a "generic" holster, you might try one of the Michaels of Oregon ("Uncle Mike's") offerings.  Here is a link to their web site: http://www.uncle-mikes.com/

Otherwise, here is a link to a rather large compilation of links to holster makers, one of which should be able to provide the holster you have in mind:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1143615747  

Good luck, and good shooting.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 09:35:34 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:25:01 AM »
".........and everybody seems to offer something that they swear is wonderful and discreet and comfortable -- but how'm i supposed to know? "   Bluegun

~~~~~~~~~
 Each maker believes their product is "all that" .
  But, their opinion may be different that your's.  If you  listen to a Ford commercial and to a Chevy commercial,  which do you buy?
RJ=

Offline Thunderbolt

Palehorse Zulu 2 Works for Me
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'll put my 2 cents worth in FWIW. I bought the Palehorse Zulu 2 and was pleasantly surprised by the way it tucks in; probably because it is OWB but under the belt, I have to use a more flexible "civillian" to be able to make the bends around the holster. The Sparks belt ........ No way with this holster. I position the holster just touching behind the side beltloop at 3 o'clock on your everyday Wrangler jeans. The R9 fits in there very tight, yet, to draw I just come up the side seam with my thumb and index finger and the grip of the R9 is at the top.  8)

The Zulu 2 is also designed to carry in the front pocket with a removable cover panel. I tried it for pocket carry and it doesn't work for me in my normal "formal wear" (clean Wranglers)  ;) Pocket carry would probably be okay in looser fitting pants. The P3AT is my pocket carry when necessary.

Good Shooting,
Thunderbolt

ps. RJ ..................... Ford  ;)
"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."   Hon. Davey Crockett

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 12:38:25 PM »
Lou Alessi makes some of the finest holsters available anywhere. He doesn't specialize in pocket holsters, but has some great IWB and OWB holster designs. His always has a backlog of law enforcement orders, which says alot about his products.
I have one of his Watch Six Dual Talon (WSDT) IWB holsters for my Kahr K9 and it's extremely stable and comfortable. For OWB I would recommend his CQC/S. It's about as concealable as an OWB holster gets.
I's suggest sending him an email and asking for his opinion on his holsters for the R9. He's a really great guy and will definitely send you a reply.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 04:12:33 PM »
Not long ago, I went thru the same jungle.....I did purchase a few used holsters and was able to pin down my own likes and
preferances.  The conclusion I came to was a Palehorse "Ace" IWB....Medium forward cant.  It rides fairly high and, except for the straps, will not be seen from the top of the belt down.
I wear a short vest (just past the bottom of my belt) and have not had the misfortune to be un-concealed.  My R9 is at 4:00
and is not in the way of almost anything I do....that said, I use
some discretion in how I bend over, reach, etc.  The Ace is very comfortable for all day wear...12-14 hrs.  Priced at approx. $55 as I recall....expect to wait the full 12 weeks even with promises otherwise.   Just my .02  Good luck...Brian

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »
thanks, everybody, for taking the time to post.  now, more cogitating!

i sure wish we could just walk around with a 6 gun and not have everybody freak out.  i've got some really comfortable western gear.

have a good weekend.  remember those who've gone before.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:53:40 PM »
6 gun and a saber -- wonder how we could bring personal arms back into fashion...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Larry

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 01:37:56 AM »
Hi, Bluegun.  Recently got my pup and R.L. Grahams Speed Scabbord from Palehorseholsters.com.  I got the shark skin one shown in the "Exotic belts & Holsters" link on the site.  It is OWB which is more comfortable.  The holster is very well made and sits very flat against my body.  The retention is still a bit tight, but that is good.  I could run or hang upside down without worry. I wear my shirts out, but this is necessary with any carry except pocket or ankle.  Since I wear jeans a lot, pocket carry is difficult to present from easily.  Especially when seated. My Glock 27 goes in a superb IWB Milt Sparks.  However, I may now get a OWB for it as well.  With current Speed Scabbard, I forget the pup is there.  I am in South Florida, so this really works for me. The shark choice seemed good also for hot moist climate.  Also, I had it in a week.  Let us know what you come up with.   Larry

Offline Md65

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »
Hi Guys! I am as well the proud owner of a new R9. I purchased the thumb break mini slide style 085 from the rohrbaugh store on their website. It is a belt holster and i am very happy with it. The holster is made by Desantis and it fits the pup like a glove! It took a few days to break in but now its perfect. I am also waiting on a Reno pocket holster from pale horse and i also ordered a mini-belt defender with gator trim from k&d. I will post my opinions when i receive them. Think i have enough holsters? Anyway this is my first post on the forum. Nice to be here!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »
Md65:

Welcome to the Forum and to the Club of R9 owners!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Larry

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 03:16:28 PM »
YES, YES, WELCOME Md65.  Let us here from you often. Please keep us apprised of your experience with the new pup.
Regards, Larry

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 08:34:57 PM »
Md65

Join in the conversation often - great bunch of guys on the forum.

Welcome!
Dave
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:36:06 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."