Author Topic: First Shots  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
First Shots
« on: July 25, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
I shot my Rohrbaugh yesterday for the first time.  After reading about the various problems with ammo I was a little concerned about what it would fire reliably.  I fired 2 - 4 magazines of each of the following:

Gold Dots / 2 Mags
Hornady Custom / 2 Mags
Independence 9mm / 4 Mags

and also went through 4 more magazines of some old unidentified ammo that I purchased long ago.  It went through everything flawlessly.

Now I can carry it along with, or in place of, my Seecamp whenever I want.  What a beautiful firearm.

Brian

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: First Shots
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
You need to talk to JoshA about shooting that much ammo thru the R9 at the range.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline pjames32

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »
I ran about 50rds thru mine when I got it (used). Had a couple fail to extract. Changed the spring, lubed per instructions and ran about 50 more thru it with no problems. I'm now carrying it!
PJ

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »
You need to talk to JoshA about shooting that much ammo thru the R9 at the range.

I had my son-in-law (30 yrs old) with me at the range.  It was his first experience shooting a handgun so I brought 6 different guns for him to try.  Consequently I was able to give my Rohrbaugh ample time to cool down between magazines.  I noticed that the pup did get hot when I was rapid firing to see if I could force a jam.   Couldn't do it.  What a great little gun.   

Due to my health problems over the past couple of years it was my first trip to the range since around 2012.  What a treat it was for me not only to get back to the range but to have my new toy perform flawlessly. 

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »

I had my son-in-law (30 yrs old) with me at the range.  It was his first experience shooting a handgun so I brought 6 different guns for him to try.  Consequently I was able to give my Rohrbaugh ample time to cool down between magazines.  I noticed that the pup did get hot when I was rapid firing to see if I could force a jam.   Couldn't do it.  What a great little gun.   

Due to my health problems over the past couple of years it was my first trip to the range since around 2012.  What a treat it was for me not only to get back to the range but to have my new toy perform flawlessly. 

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

Brian, I would not worry about that many shots the first time out.  That is what you should do to test it and get the feel of it.

Josh's problem was he was doing it 4 or 5 times a week.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

Brian, I would not worry about that many shots the first time out.  That is what you should do to test it and get the feel of it.

Josh's problem was he was doing it 4 or 5 times a week.

Yep. And I had an issue that I couldn't figure out and kept trying different ammo and grip etc. finally found the problem and it's shooting reliably. I was shooting it hot, with weak grip and bad ammo. I basically did all of the wrong things til these guys helped straighten out my bad "Glock-like" ways. Haha.

Anyway they have me convinced to carry much and shoot little NOW. If I run 2 mags through at a time I'm content to clean it and put it back in the pocket and carry with confidence.

I would recommend caution, but also agree with MRC that giving it a good "let's get acquainted" session isn't gonna kill it.

In fact, mine has about 500 rounds through it by me (not including the original owner) and it's solid after my abusive ways.

I would recommend picking up a aluminum mag extension sir.

Glad that you were able to get to the range. That's great
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:22:17 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)