Author Topic: MMC tritium night sights dim  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
MMC tritium night sights dim
« on: April 28, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
My Sig P239 9mm has the MMC tritium sights installed.

The "glow" is gone, and there is not much white surface to see in the daytime.

Does anybody know how I could get them back to white again?  For example, is there a bright white paint commonly used or anything else to get back in business again?

Bill

Offline erh

• Expert
Re: MMC tritium night sights dim
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
Please do yourself a favor & get ahold of MMC; they have a 12 year Trit. Guarantee. (actually covered for 15 as I understand it.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:17:47 PM by erh »
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 01:55:42 PM »
Thanks, erh.

Good idea.  I contacted them to see what they recommended.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 01:58:44 PM »
I received a message from MMC.  It seems like a very fair deal to me.  I'm very pleased with their customer service.

Dear Sir,

you need to send the sights or the slide in for us to replace the tritium.
There will be a $12.00 return shipping and handling fee due.

The customers cannot refresh the tritium. One must be licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to do it.

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 12:02:40 AM »
I received a message from MMC.  It seems like a very fair deal to me.  I'm very pleased with their customer service.

Dear Sir,

you need to send the sights or the slide in for us to replace the tritium.
There will be a $12.00 return shipping and handling fee due.

The customers cannot refresh the tritium. One must be licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to do it.

I've been quite pleased w/ them.  Do yourself one more favor; when you send in the slide; State unabashedly how upset you'd be if they "Peen" the front sight edges like they did on Eric Howland's P226...  I think that'll really ring a bell, if not, at least they probably won't do it anyway.  Glad they're tryin' to help; also seems I may have as well.

Eric
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:58:39 AM »
Good info.  I've got a set of tritium sights on one of my pistols which are also going dim.  Thanks.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 08:58:57 AM »
Bill:

As an afterthought, and before you ship the slide, make certain that the sights are not being dimmed by oil and/or grime covering the tritium inserts.  For that purpose, I simply use a Q-Tip slightly moistened with water or diluted alcohol.  I've noticed that the tritium dots in Gutter Snipe sights are prone to become occluded in that way.    
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:43:35 AM »
Richard,

Thank you very much!  I have been suspicious of that because the white area is not particularly white.  It just plain looks dirty.

I took a Q-tip wet with water, and stuck it in alcohol.  The cleaning result is not immediately apparent, but I'll check it tonight.

I appreciate that MMC will help refresh the tritium.  They are right there when needed.

Meanwhile, I may not return the slide.  It has been hard-chrome plated by Tripp Research in Texas and I'm reluctant to go through all that again if it got lost during transportation.

Thanks again for the tip.