Author Topic: R45  (Read 24668 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Re: R45
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 04:43:11 PM »
The gutter sights that NAA uses are really a good idea. Wonder if Rohrbaugh could do that or if there would be some copyright problems.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »
I was told it will be on a 25% larger frame.
That would make it about the same size as the Para Carry ...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:39:50 PM by Fud »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 02:44:50 PM »
The gutter sights that NAA uses are really a good idea. Wonder if Rohrbaugh could do that or if there would be some copyright problems.

I don't think gutter sights would pose any problem since they have been around for decades.  And gunsmiths have been modifing them just as long.

Reinz  
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »
Fudster - Thanks for posting the comparison picture of the R9 and the Para Carry.

How do you like the Para Carry?

Looking at the comparison, I'm trying to see what the advantage of the Rohrbaugh would be - assuming that would be the size difference.
I hear the trigger pull of the LDAs are awesome;  so that would be hard to beat.

The only thing I can think of right off the bat is maybe weight and thinner.  Which of course would be a great welcome.
And maybe the Bro's can work their recoil magic like they did on the R9.

Anyone think of anything else?

Reinz

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 06:14:24 PM »
I don't think gutter sights would pose any problem since they have been around for decades.  And gunsmiths have been modifing them just as long.

Reinz  
If that is the case, then I think that Rohrbaugh should give serious consideration to making them standard on their guns.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 06:37:31 PM »
R45 -- All I know is that I've got to have one!    (Get ready, RJ -- I want to be among the first in line for a monogrammed BP holster and matching mag pouch.)  8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:38:49 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »
Fudster - Thanks for posting the comparison picture of the R9 and the Para Carry.

How do you like the Para Carry?

Looking at the comparison, I'm trying to see what the advantage of the Rohrbaugh would be - assuming that would be the size difference.
I hear the trigger pull of the LDAs are awesome;  so that would be hard to beat.

The only thing I can think of right off the bat is maybe weight and thinner.  Which of course would be a great welcome.
And maybe the Bro's can work their recoil magic like they did on the R9.

Anyone think of anything else?

Reinz

My Para Carry was a big disappointment. Even after a trip to the factory, it will only feed FMJ ammo. Anything else will not even chamber by itself. I would have to rack the slide by hand and sort of jiggle it during the racking in order to chamber any other ammo that was not FMJ.

If the R45 is more reliable with different types of ammo, it will be something worth considering.

Personally, I would like to see a more beef'ed up version of the R9 that didn't require as much care as the current model and that could handle +P ammo.  Maybe something looks like a PPK on the outside but is built like a R9 on the inside ...

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »
One of the nice things about the R9s is the trigger pull, The R45 should be the same. The PPK has a bad trigger pull, without the ability to do much about it. Do you think it is an OAL problem?  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was saying build a beef'ed up version of the R9 to SORT OF resemble the PPK. Keep the R9 trigger and concealed hammer but make it all steel with a manual safety & decocker and a push button magazine release. Sort of what the Colt Pocket Nine was ...

... but closer in shape to the PPK and in functionality to the R9.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:39:18 PM by Fud »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »
Fudster, sorry about that, I replaced my PPK with my R9s. I think you are on the right track . Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 07:53:38 PM »
Fudster,

I completly agree with you except for two of your suggestions.  Why a manual safety and decock lever.  The DAO trigger is all the safety any competent gun carrier needs.
I have always detested DAO triggers untill I tried the R9.  FINALLY a good DAO trigger.  Any DAO is not good for targets or even plinking fun but for a carry gun the R9 DAO trigger is perfect.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »
Personally, the primary reason I want an R45 is the pup fits my hand (shape-wise, not size.) better than anything except my custom gripped revolvers, and the pup's not very far behind.  That, and the pup's fantastic trigger, and overall build quality.  Assuming they stick w. the pup, it should also be a much simpler (IMO = more reliable) design than something w. a manual safety, decockers, grip safety, etc.  It should certainly make it lighter, and more compact.  

And, hopefully, available w. carbon fiber grips...can't say I really like G-10.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »
Fudster,

I completly agree with you except for two of your suggestions.  Why a manual safety and decock lever.  The DAO trigger is all the safety any competent gun carrier needs.
I have always detested DAO triggers untill I tried the R9.  FINALLY a good DAO trigger.  Any DAO is not good for targets or even plinking fun but for a carry gun the R9 DAO trigger is perfect.

Mike
I grew up on TDA/SA and that is my preference. But you are correct. The R9 has an excellent DAO trigger. I'd be happy with either version if they made one.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 02:41:52 PM »
Fudster -  I understand your disappointment with your Para.  Especially since they are on the pricey side.
Have you had a 45 mechanic look at your Para Carry?   Sounds like an easy fix for someone you trust.

Reinz

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 12:53:54 PM »
A trip to the factory did not resolve the problem.