Author Topic: Walther P99 or P99c Experiences?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
Walther P99 or P99c Experiences?
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »
Anyone have any personal experience with the P99, or P99c pistols?

The Walther P99c/AS in particular.

Thanks,

J. Pomeroy
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Walther P99 or P99c Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:36:39 PM »
I have a SW99 compact AS and as this is effectively a Walther - will regard it as to all intents the same.

I bought mine on a whim but have to say it has impressed me a lot.  Accuracy is excellent and with pinkie extension mags - pretty good to hold even with my large hands.  I did fit the largest palm swell insert.

My only criticisms were initially - the odd position for mag release (which is ambi) and the decocker position being upper left on slide.

That said - some familiarization soon got to grips with those things - the decocker is no biggie anyways - but you have to get used to using (me anyways) right forefinger for mag release op'n.  Can use thumb but that suits me better.

I have used it for carry very happily but usually stick to large and heavy 226 ST.  I have no regrets having got it - and in fact hope that might be one of my 9mm's I can get the wife to use some day.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
Laserlips, I have a P99c QA and I loved it from the get-go! It's just a beautiful weapon! A quality gun at a bargain price!
                                                                Eric

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:56:16 AM »
R9S Carry & eblackhawk:

Thanks for your reponse.  

I continued to check out various gun forums posts, (and archived posts) regarding the Walther P99/SW99 line of firearms and 99% of them were positive.  

I ordered a new P99c/AS last Friday, and it should get to my local dealer early this week. FWIW, I paid $571.00 drive out, which I don't think was the absolute best price I could have gotten, but it allowed me to buy from a local dealer and I don't think I got hosed.  He's a nice guy and needs the business.  He's always willing to accept a ffl transfer for me for $20 so he has earned my friendship and business..

I think either the P99c/AS or comparable SW99 would have been a fine choice, but frankly I love all things Walther..  I have a surplus P1 and surplus P5 and they are both excellent firearms.  

I'm a lefty, and from everything I read the P99c/AS is very ambi friendly, and I've read many positives about the AS trigger.

Thanks again for you input..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
"Laus Deo"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 02:20:44 PM »
Sounds good - give some feedback later when you have gotten it and had a chance to test it out.

Hopefully you will love it!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »
Sounds good - give some feedback later when you have gotten it and had a chance to test it out.

Hopefully you will love it!

Thanks again, I'll give it a good test and let you know the results..

J. Pomeroy

Update:  Not a great test, but the results of the first mag. fired thru the P99c..  Shot standing, two handed, 5'.  I can see immediately it's potentially WAY more accurate than I can take advantage of.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 05:28:49 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"