Author Topic: What is your Main Home defense gun?  (Read 14038 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: What is your Main Home defense gun?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
My backup to the .454.  I do have to point it at the door.  This was just for the picture!    ;D

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
One shot, one kill...no magazine needed...

If they get past this, I have some C III stuff waiting and a SPAS 12 ;D

DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
If they get by these, I don't want to be around!    ;D

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
My nightstand G-19, night sights, Lone Wolf ported barrel, G-18 30rd mag.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »
My MHDG is a Winchester 1300 stainless-steel Marine Defender pump-action 12-guage shotgun which I have modified with top-folding stock, pistol grip, tactical light, laser and HI Viz sights, side saddle, and tactical sling. I keep the tube loaded with Winchester 00-Buck and the side saddle filled with slugs (just in case). I do not keep a shell in the chamber. There's just something about the sound of a pump shotgun being racked in the dark, followed by 200 +/- lumens of light and a pulsating laser dot which is downright comforting for me and -- I trust -- somewhat disconcerting for the BG(s). It hangs by the sling on my side of the bed, whether at home, the cabin, or while camping, and is treated with appropriate reverence.  

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:32:05 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
It is so subtle and understated :)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Very nice setup Richard! I too have a lite on my 870 w/a pressure switch on the fore arm to ID the threat. I went with the #4 buck so as not to hopefully penatrate surrounding walls.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »
This may be helpful in deciding whether you want a light on your defense weapon.  Be sure to read the whole article.  

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/tac_light.htm

I had a similiar experience.  My teenage daughter, at the time, was supposed to be spending the night with a friend.  About 11:30 that night, the alarm went off to the kitchen door.  I immediately grabbed the .45, knowing no one was supposed to be coming in.

While standing in the doorway with the alarm sounding she yelled, DAD!  She had decided not to spend the night with the friend.  I had not pointed the .45 or a flashlite at her and was glad she had yelled.

Still, uncomforting to have been in that situation.    

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:54:21 AM by kjtrains »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
 I have a tacticle Flashlight as well as my weapon mounted light. Two things the article did not address was proper light management (You only turn it on momentarily) and the fact that when you are wanting to identify without pointing the gun at things unknown, you use the perifrial light. We are talking lights that put out over 100 lumens on average, they afford a large amount of indirest lighting for the ID of whatever you are checking out. Also Weapon mounted lights free a hand giving you something to use for holding infants, opening doors, etc, without having to holster your weapon.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
There again, folks have to decide for themselves.  Some like 'em, some don't.  No right or wrong answer.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
Very good food for thought in that article.  I'll be chewing on that for quite a while.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
The article does make you think and ponder.  

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 04:32:49 PM »
   Corey, how much did Robert charge you for a holster for that thing? ;D     For home defense I keep a Colt Defender .45 ACP in my bedroom and a couple of old S&W 9MMs scattered around the house.   Gene
birdman

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
This thread prompts me to write two words: "Castle Doctrine."

(If your state has not enacted it, write your legislators.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
This thread prompts me to write two words: "Castle Doctrine."

(If your state has not enacted it, write your legislators.)

We have it in NC.  ;D :D

North Carolina

Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.
(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.
(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.[18]

John
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:39:05 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson