Author Topic: whats your nightstand gun?  (Read 14672 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: whats your nightstand gun?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »
 They do turn up in the strangest places. I was looking for something a few days ago and came across one of my Grandfather's "Pen" Knives that he used to carry. It most likely is almost 100 years old now.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
I'm officially jealous of your t3,  that is one sweet pistol :)
Jayson D

Offline ford999

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
Sig P-220 elite, .45 acp critical defense, streamlight tlr-2

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »

The Sig P-220 is a formidable weapon. However, Hornady has a deservedly bad rap on this forum and many others. I would only consider using any Hornady product as range fodder. Not only have they produced inferior products in the past they also engaged in denial of the problem.

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
Critical defense is my carry load in 380,  I've never had a problem with it,  what kind of issues are you referring too?
Jayson D

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
I too carry the Hornady CD in my Kahr P380 with no problems what so ever.  They really make a lot of sense to me, in the 380 especially.

I tested the 9mm Hornady CD's in four different compact 9's, R9, PM9, Colt Pocket Nine, and a Kimber Solo.  All the rounds tested went off, cycled the slide, and proved adequate as far as accuracy.  The only problem was the primers all showed "fried egg look" that were shot in the R9.  All other rounds fired in the other pistols showed good and normal looking strikes.  I determined it was the R9's fault and not the ammunition's.

I currently am carrying 124 gr GD's in the Solo just because Kimber recommends 124 gr and 147 gr ammo in the Solo.

I would not worry about the .45 acp CD's in the Sig, it is a completely different gun than the R9.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »
Glock 21 SF with night sights and a TLR-2S.  If I do have to shoot indoors, I'm much rather it be .45 than .357 or 10mm.  I'm already going deaf, but my wife and son shouldn't be.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 07:08:51 AM »
I would not worry about the .45 acp CD's in the Sig, it is a completely different gun than the R9.

I also have had no issues with the Critical Defense round and am carrying and/or using it in all of my self defense weapons. I feel very comfortable with my wife carrying it in her .380  Sig-238 . If I thought there was a better round for her to use , she would have it. If you did want to find another round fo Self Defense, I would try out the Federal "Guard Dog". They copied Hornady's Polymer Center and put one of their own in it. Round shows promise.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »
Never heard of the guard dog but I'm certainly going to do some research,  sounds interesting.
Jayson D

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »
Article from American Rifleman (NRA)

Federal Premium has announced its newest personal-defense ammunition: Guard Dog Home Defense.

Available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, Guard Dog Home Defense is a full-metal-jacket style non-hollowpoint that's filled with an expanding polymer, which is designed to minimize over-penetration when shooting through interior walls. Guard Dog Home Defense expands rapidly but doesn't fill with barrier material. During Federal's testing, Guard Dog was shot into four wall-like surfaces and a layer of ballistic gel. Results were that the ammo did not penetrate the gel. Conversely, traditional hollowpoints punched through 15 inches of gel after passing through the same four wall-like surfaces.
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
Leaning on the nightstand --- Benelli M4

Reviewing this thread, HG's Benelli leaning on the nightstand reminded me that I forgot to mention what hangs next to mine -- a "tricked out" Winchester 1300 Marine Defender. This thing is better than Sominex for insuring a good night's sleep:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »
(Savage) Stevens model 350 12 gauge behind the headboard and an H&K USPC .40 with 12+1 and a mounted Insite lite/strobe.  Kimber CDPII .45 hidden in the master bathroom.  Extra mags for both pistols.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Wildcat1

• Firearms Pharmacist
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:17 AM »
     I like Jason's choice and others who have a Glock 20.  Great gun, possible over-penetration in some scenarios (thin walled apt. or children near) with 10mm ammo.
However, I have very similar ideas.  I have the Glock 21 (.45ACP) with n.s., and an attached light.  "Backup" is provided by my Benelli M4 shotgun.
Daily R9 Carrier
Endowment Life
Instructor
Military