Author Topic: safe and accessible storage of a 'car gun'?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline ezeg

safe and accessible storage of a 'car gun'?
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:42:43 PM »
I subscribe to the practice of the front-pocket carry for the 'pocket gun' (soon to upgraded from a P3AT to a R9s), and having a larger 'car gun' for trips and commuting.

I use a QwiKCase gun safe (bolted to the floor in the rear of the suv) to secure the 'car gun'. I am not completely satisfied with this solution. My 'car safe' is not accessible from the drive seat, so I spend too much time and energy handling my 'car gun' at the beginning and end of each outing.

Does anyone have favorite method of keeping a 'car gun' both secure (when away from the car) and accessible to the driver (... when in the car)?

Offline logical

• Expert
Re: safe and accessible storage of a 'car gun'?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:19:50 AM »
A certain panel, easily reached from the drivers seat in my truck, one that you'd assume is permanently attached, is actually held on with velcro.  The car gun is under it.  If I'm not in the truck, the doors are locked.

Offline ezeg

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »
Thanks logical; a quick inspection of my interior revealed the perfect spot. A little velcro and a little dremel work, and I will be a happy traveler.

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:19:07 PM »
I installed the small model 4805 from http://www.handgunsafe.com/index.htm in the center console of my Explorer. Came out nice and very secure. Just for reference, it can fit at least a G19 sized pistol and other stuff.
This is the second safe I've bought from this company. Both seem very well made and includes all mounting hardware.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »
I have one of these. http://aacfi.com/products/secureit.shtml

My only regret is that I did not get two keyed alike.

I think Logicals suggestion about the removable panel is a great way to go. I will need to examine my truck for that.
However, the main reason for me to lock a gun in the car would be for those times I need to leave it in the car.
It is not for a defensive purpose I would need the gun accesible to me, as it would no doubt be on me at the time I am driving.

Offline glazier

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 01:13:12 AM »
Yep, strong side carry.. works EVERY time.  Unfortunately, any other method IMHO makes for a verrry slow presentation.  Lest you hold it in your hand it isn't immediately available.  Moreover, a good plan and a quick mind is waaaay better to CYA than the biggest caliber hand cannon out there.    ;D
Measure Twice...CUT Once!