Author Topic: Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:14:01 AM »
http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Do any forum members belong to Armed Citizens' Netork? I joined a year ago. Their ejournal alone is worth the price of membership. You have a contact phone number  for 24/7 legal support. There is currently $157000 in the legal fund. You can contact lawyers who are experienced in defensive shooting in your area.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Re: Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »
Thanks Jack, I'll check it out...be curious as to what others think.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the members of the NRA have access to expert defense witnesses through that organization (ie:  Ayoob, etc.).  I'll be interested in the particulars of the Armed Citizens Network.  God forbid that someone would need to be involved in a defensive shooting, but should that happen, that individual can almost count on being sued by someone.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the members of the NRA have access to expert defense witnesses through that organization (ie:  Ayoob, etc.).  I'll be interested in the particulars of the Armed Citizens Network.  God forbid that someone would need to be involved in a defensive shooting, but should that happen, that individual can almost count on being sued by someone.

Depends on which state you live in.
Michigan has laws on the book that one cannot get sued if the shooting is ruled justified.
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
A) If you are concerned about getting sued, the NRA provides insurance for such things - I believe it was $250/yr for 250K of coverage.

B)  With the caveat that I am a kind of lawyer (I mostly make ice cream, but I am licensed in TX), you really want to get your own defense attorney, and to look around.

You're going to want someone dedicated the RTKBA, and who's on the ball - law is so diverse, that you will want someone who's really up to snuff on self-defense cases - most likely not someone who spends most of his days pleading out drug dealers.

I could be wrong, but before I joined anything like that organization, I'd want names of the lawyers signed on to it for certain areas, then I'd check them out, to make sure they seem competent. 
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Good advice to all...thanks!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »
Well, the ACLDN's network attorney for West Central Florida seems to be competent and dedicated to RTKBA...   8)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
Duane:

If I ever need your services, I hereby offer to move your admission to the appropriate Tennessee court to handle my case pro hac vice.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
A) If you are concerned about getting sued, the NRA provides insurance for such things - I believe it was $250/yr for 250K of coverage.

I could be wrong, but before I joined anything like that organization, I'd want names of the lawyers signed on to it for certain areas, then I'd check them out, to make sure they seem competent.

A list of the participating attorneys is available, and the cost is far less than $250.  The organization recommends checking them out, and suggests spending some time with one you choose ahead of time, to make sure it is a good fit, and so there is a clear understanding of what the attorney expects of you if you ever have to do the unthinkable and shoot another human.

Members also get DVDs that explain:

-When a shooting is justified,
-What to do if you ever need to defend yourself,
-What NOT to do if you ever need to defend yourself,
-What to say to the cops,
-What NOT to say to the cops,
-How to recognize an iminent threat,
-How to avoid threatening situations,
-Yada yada....

Yes, I am a member.  Highly recommended.

Offline tennman

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »
  I am also a member.
I would recommend anyone who is interested to just go to their sight and do a little reading.
The cost per year will be the best money you ever spent if their assistance is needed.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:05:45 PM »
How you evaluate such an attorney's credentials is an interesting question.

If you are charged with a crime, you want an attorney with criminal experience, of course.  However, most criminal attorneys don't have a lot experience with the affirmative defense of self-defense.  Most criminal defenses are of the "it wasn't me" variety.  The criminal defendant rarely takes the stand or testifies in his own defense.  This is NOT the way to defend an armed citizen.

Proving up self-defense actually shifts the burden of proof to the defendant -- and is much more like what civil attorneys do on a daily basis.  So...my point is that a straight up criminal defense lawyer may not be exactly what you need.  I would say look for a well-rounded lawyer with civil and criminal experience, including big cases.  Experience with defending white color criminals might be good as well.

Most of all, it would be nice to have someone who is "one of us" -- who carries a gun and understands the motivations of the armed citizen.  Without a doubt, it is a tall order.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:10:56 PM »
Indeed...everything Gator said.  It's the armed citizen who has to fear the most as criminals have no reguard for the law to start with.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop