Author Topic: Finally Shot Harnady Critical Defense Ammo  (Read 5566 times)

Offline sslater

• Master
Finally Shot Harnady Critical Defense Ammo
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
I finally got three boxes (75 rounds) of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense ammo from Midway. $20 / box plus shipping isn't bad for premium ammo these days.  
The Good News: 21 rounds thru 3 mags (+1 in the pipe) all loaded, fired, and ejected perfectly.  Now I can tentatively add Hornady Critical Defense to my list of Speer GDHP and Winchester Silver Tip premium carry ammo.
There was no bad news! ;D  
Hopefully, someone here at the Rohrbaugh forum will try the Hornady C.D. ammo on balloons, soda bottles, melons, etc., and report back on how well they blow stuff apart.

More good news:  I handloaded some 9mm rounds, making sure to use bullets that were the same shape as WWB 115 gr. FMJ.  I really hadn't planned to shoot these handloads in my R9s, but they worked so well in my Ruger SR9 I loaded up an R9 mag and was pleasantly surprised to hear seven "Bangs" resulting in a pretty good 10 yard group.  
My loads were just at the starting powder charge listed in the Hogdon manual for HS-6; and I pulled apart a WWB round so I could duplicate the powder space in the small 9mm Luger case.  This left the overall length right at the minimum recommended overall length spec.  Good to know they work fine in my gun in this era of ammo shortages.  

Steve      

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Finally Shot Harnady Critical Defense Ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
Great information!   :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
looks like we can add another brand of ammo to the good list, thanks for the info.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically second the Critical Defense
ammo recommendation.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »

That is great Critical Defense works in the R9.

It does not work well in the Seecamp LWS .380.

In the Seecamp the hard recoil really deforms the shells still in the magazine.  The main reason is the thin metal on the sides.  I was wondering how the shells would fair in the R9 - glad they worked out.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »
Dave,
I am sorry to hear about Critical Defense in the Seecamp .380.
It's a different animal but Doug Hornady performed an impressive
display with the LCP and his ammo on youtube.
Since the Seecamp is so ammo specific it would probably not ever
work for the reasons you stated.
Do Doug Hornady and Larry Seecamp know about this issue?

Offline Chigger

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:53:19 AM »
"The List" . . .  I've scanned looking for a simple list of ammo recommended.   I know it's much like body parts.... Everyone has one and they are all different.  Would like to see List of Preferences though.    Darren

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »
Darren.  A short list would be Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips and GD 115 gr.  John (yankee 2500) can give a much longer list.  Wishing you the best in your selection.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I had wondered about the Critical Defense.  Took my pup out today and exercised our 2nd Amendment rights.  Pix and range report to follow, but needless to say, zero dissapointment.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop